What can I use instead of these tempered 55 gallon tanks?

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! So I've been working hard on a project, a coral growout setup for zoas, mushrooms, and a few LPS that enjoy higher nutrient systems. It was meant to be a setup of 2 55-gallon aquariums and 2 75-gallon aquariums, all four connected to one sump. Unfortunately, I seem to have made some serious miscalculations/mistakes in this project... Namely, as many of you probably would've told me, that 55-gallon tanks are almost always tempered and cannot be drilled. And indeed mine are tempered.

So I could just get different tanks but I've got a couple of issues. First, I've already built a stand for the 55-gallon aquariums that I'm pretty proud of, as it's my first woodworking project. So if there's a practical use I can have for them, I'd like that. At first I thought quarantine tanks, but they are honestly too big for quarantine tanks... Worst case scenario, I can always resell the tanks and build a new stand. It was a great learning experience so I'm sure the next build will be better.

My second issue is that I don't really know what aquarium would be good! I'm working on a budget, so rather than dropping a thousand or more for an all-in-one system, I'd rather get a drillable tank, an overflow, drill it and put it together myself. It'd be much friendlier to my budget. So if anyone has suggestions for which tanks would be ideal for that, I'd love to hear :)

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon breeders cheap at most local pet stores. Mine drilled easy. I had it set one up as a hospital tank that was tied to my main tank so that everything stays the same for the fish, water from the main tank goes into it. But not from it back to the main tank.
Gl

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gonna want the old truvu 55g acrylics. U can cut them down and make the lowboys and cut acrylic yourself for the overflows.
The glue would be weld on 4 and I'd do two hole overflows. 1 emergency or partial siphon just in case.

I'd be likely to just drill the sides of them as well and use bulkheads and a piece of pipe to connect them all. Make it one big system.
Hths you on your coral growing adventure!
D

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could check out the 40g longs, they are the same footprint as 55g just shorter. i'm not sure if they are tempered though.

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've been trying to find a way to still use m 55-gallons, as I have two of them now just sitting around and it seems such a waste. I found the Fiji Cube AIO Drop-In Kits for installing Overflows, but realized that the 55-gallon ones have been unfortunately discontinued. If I use the 29-gallon one like this [https://www.fijicubesupply.com/product-p/ib-29.htm] what kind of issues might I expect to have? Would it cause serious problems? I'm going to mainly use these tanks to grow pretty hardy corals, specifically softies like xenia, mushrooms, and some GSP.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a box that you stick in your tank to hide your heaters, pumps, and so on in. It might look oddly small in a tank it's not made for, but as long as it holds the equipment, it can be any size you want without causing any issues. They're not high-tech or finicky at all.

You probably don't need to plumb the tanks together to grow corals in them. Especially not for easy soft corals. Your main problem is probably going to be keeping the nutrients up with all those fast-growing softies draining 'em.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the need to drill the 55's if for overflows, why not go with an HOB over flow like these: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-1000-hob-overflow-eshopps.html

If this seem like a option for you I would advise you go with the larger dual drain versions. Even if you don't need the higher flow rate, the two drains will let you set up safer/quieter system. I will also advise against the type without U-pipes, the U-pipes are completely reliable and the other type typically requires a pump to remove air from the siphon.

OP
OP
MaraRavenous

MaraRavenous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the need to drill the 55's if for overflows, why not go with an HOB over flow like these: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/pf-1000-hob-overflow-eshopps.html

If this seem like a option for you I would advise you go with the larger dual drain versions. Even if you don't need the higher flow rate, the two drains will let you set up safer/quieter system. I will also advise against the type without U-pipes, the U-pipes are completely reliable and the other type typically requires a pump to remove air from the siphon.
I just saw this but this is a great idea. I hadn't seen this option and will be strongly considering it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back