What can stay with a clam?

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I recently picked up a Maxima from my LFS because I have wanted a clam since I started my 150 gallon tank. Well, I found out that the Emperor Angel that my wife wanted and added to the tank isn't going to do so great with the clam and some of my LFS corals. I put the clam in my isolation tank (15gallon) with my Naso Tang.

At this point, I'm thinking about turning the 15gallon tank into a LFS and Clam only tank, not even put any fish in it except for maybe a couple of clowns.... but I don't even know where I would put it for a display.

Is there any way to protect the clam so that I wouldn't have to run a second display tank? (getting rid of the Emperor is a no-go for the wife. lol)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question: did you see your emperor angel eat the clam?

My LFS has this show tank with a Koran angel (Pomacanthus) which is the same genus as a emperor angel. They had many clams and the angel didn’t nip one, however, the angel did eat a lot of fleshy LPS which resulted in the fish getting sold off.

Basically, it’s all a gamble. You want the clam and your wife wants the fish. You can attempt to keep both, but be mindful that it’s a gamble and you may have to decide on removing either the fish or the clam if you see nipping.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to protect the clam in the same tank with a fish that eats clams. You need to research compatibility with the animals that go into your tank before adding them.
Well, I researched the fish after I got the clam, so I luckily didn't put it in the tank with the Emperor Angel. I do really want to keep the clam, and getting a 120 gallon tank to move the angel isn't practical. So that's why I was thinking about getting a small/nano tank for the clam. That's why I was asking about what all would go in with it, with the clam needing a lot of PAR, would it need to be an SPS tank?

My LFS has this show tank with a Koran angel (Pomacanthus) which is the same genus as a emperor angel. They had many clams and the angel didn’t nip one, however, the angel did eat a lot of fleshy LPS which resulted in the fish getting sold off.

Basically, it’s all a gamble. You want the clam and your wife wants the fish. You can attempt to keep both, but be mindful that it’s a gamble and you may have to decide on removing either the fish or the clam if you see nipping.

My clam is in the isolation tank with the Naso Tang, I luckily read up on whether or not the Emperor would be a problem for it (normally). The clams were at the LFS with some corals, anemones, and few other fish that I don't remember what types they were. The Angels where in their own holding tanks, so there's nothing in there with them, other than a couple of other fish.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clams in a number of mixed reef tanks. I currently have one in a mixed reef nano. When it comes to PAR, it's all about placement. Place animals with higher PAR requirements up higher and ones with lower requirements down lower. Renting a PAR meter will help. Just don't add creatures that eat clams.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept clams in a number of mixed reef tanks. I currently have one in a mixed reef nano. When it comes to PAR, it's all about placement. Place animals with higher PAR requirements up higher and ones with lower requirements down lower. Renting a PAR meter will help. Just don't add creatures that eat clams.
I honestly didn't know the Angel would straight up eat clams... I knew they ate frozen mysis, but so does pretty much everything in my tank.

TailStrike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You're right. Some fish are a risk and thus are cautioned with various reef animals. Sometimes people luck out with an individual fish but it's painful when you don't.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a Nano-Tank you would recommend? I'd prefer an AIO, I have an area next to my dresser in the bedroom that I could put it, but I don't have a ton of room for a sump, etc. to go underneath it.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with the AIO systems as I prefer to set up my own. Whatever tank you choose it will have to cycle before adding the clam. Clams fare better in established systems. If your main tank has been up and running for some time then you could consider placing the clam in a transparent hang on box (preferably one with holes for flow) inside the main tank until you get another tank set up and running smoothly.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much experience with the AIO systems as I prefer to set up my own. Whatever tank you choose it will have to cycle before adding the clam. Clams fare better in established systems. If your main tank has been up and running for some time then you could consider placing the clam in a transparent hang on box (preferably one with holes for flow) inside the main tank until you get another tank set up and running smoothly.
alrighty, I have an isolation box on the way. With my LED's in the main tank, it sitting up that high will probably be beneficial to the clam.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, you'll want to know the PAR value. There is such a thing as too much light even for clams. If the clam remains retracted you can cover that part of the tank with some screen material to reduce the intensity if need be.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way to protect the clam in the same tank with a fish that eats clams. You need to research compatibility with the animals that go into your tank before adding them.
Agreed.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, you'll want to know the PAR value. There is such a thing as too much light even for clams. If the clam remains retracted you can cover that part of the tank with some screen material to reduce the intensity if need be.
I've been debating about buying the Seneye Reef Monitor just to measure PAR, but it seems to have mixed reviews.

I might just end up going with the Apogee MQ-510 and returning it in 2 months once I get the info I need, like they say on the BRS video.

My whole tank is LPS/Soft corals, so I don't think it'll have *too much* PAR. But I have 3 LED lights, I'll adjust the one closest to the clam to make sure it stays happy... as a clam...

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the lfs shops in your area may have a par meter you can rent temporarily. It can't hurt to ask around. Also, contacting a local reef club could help.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the lfs shops in your area may have a par meter you can rent temporarily. It can't hurt to ask around. Also, contacting a local reef club could help.
No local reef club around me. I think there are about 5 people even in this forum within 300 miles of me. Lol

I'll ask my LFS if they have a PAR meter that I can rent, the next time I go in.

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, this is my clam.... I really do need to move it to the main tank in that isolation box as soon as it comes in. (Should be on Tuesday according to Amazon)

Do clams do better with Blue Light or white light? I don't think I saw anything about that yet, just PAR, and water parameters.

Attachments

• 20211009_180101.jpg
    20211009_180101.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 61

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams seem to do best under full spectrum lighting, which stands to reason seeing as most Tridachnids are found in shallow water. Your "Maxima" actually appears to be a Derasa. Unlike T. maxima which averages 12", T. derasa will grow to roughly 20". Derasas grow faster as well. Something to keep in mind for the future. You may want to have a talk with your lfs if they're selling them as maximas. I'm guessing they charged you the maxima price for the cheaper derasa.

Last edited:

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a deresa. More hardy than maxima, so better choice IMO.

They're not as light hungrey, but lots of par, over 300 it should get ideally. Full spectrum, just make sure whites come on part of the day.

Keep it with fish as the fish waste the clam takes in. Mo

OP
OP
Boaz1021

Boaz1021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams seem to do best under full spectrum lighting, which stands to reason seeing as most Tridachnids are found in shallow water. Your "Maxima" actually appears to be a Derasa. Unlike T. maxima which averages 12", T. derasa will grow to roughly 20". Derasas grow faster as well. Something to keep in mind for the future. You may want to have a talk with your lfs if they're selling them as maximas. I'm guessing they charged you the maxima price for the cheaper derasa.
It is about 4-5" across when I bought it, and it was $75. I thought it was a Maxima because of its coloration in the LFS, but they didn't specifically say it was a Maxima.

If it cleans up fish waste, needs to be in full spectrum light, and doesn't like to be moved... would it do OK in the sump in my refugium section that is empty right now? I can put the full spectrum refugium light on it, on a timer and I'd still be able to look at it without risking it in the display tank? (The sump is a 40g breeder and about 15gallons of it is reserved for the refugium, but I haven't set up the refugium yet.)

20210906_172742.jpg

That larger section to the left is where I was going to put the refugium.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back