What color bulbs?

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2 T-5 bulb fixture and just replaced my Metal Halides for 3 LED pods. I have no problem getting the blue Green and yellow to pop and fluoresce but what color spectrum should I be looking at to get the reds and oranges to pop or flouresce?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is just my opinion based in no scientific fact but I use purple to see orange better, so I usually mix in 1 12k type or purple plus as it seems to balance the warm colors better.
I’m not arguing other opinions

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here go some lords under t5 combo as described

this is a old 6x54 outfitted all ATI using
4x Blue+
1x Actinic
1x Purple plus
image.jpg

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running 2 T-5 bulb fixture and just replaced my Metal Halides for 3 LED pods. I have no problem getting the blue Green and yellow to pop and fluoresce but what color spectrum should I be looking at to get the reds and oranges to pop or flouresce?
Why did you removed metal halides and replaced for LEDs? Looks? Then you are very worried about "pop"? My suggestion is for you to revise your goals keeping corals alive. The results will be different and more difficulties with LEDs! They don't "see" as you see. They aren't worried about "pop". So... this new generation of "blues", "fluorescence" and "pops"... This is just futility and doesn't add anything substantial to the system at all. It actually does the opposite!
Define your priorities wisely and trace a bright future for your system.
Good luck.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got a hybrid fixture? and by “led pods” do you mean Kessils or AI’s or ?
might wanna clue us on fixture specifics and tank size, et.
for a ridiculously rough guide: and I mean a VERY rough guide: about 50w of LEDs per sq ft to about 18” water dept
No spread, or spectrum or mounting specifics used….

Another rough suggestion/practice is to bracket the LED “pods” with either blue plus equivalent bulbs OR actintic T5 … using the more adjustable LEDs for white/ color balance to kill some of the blue and add realism and perhaps the “ pop” many seek

and again all this is hocus locus mumble jumble without PAR and/or actual spectral analysis of your setup

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a ridiculously rough guide: and I mean a VERY rough guide: about 50w of LEDs per sq ft to about 18” water dept

Another rough suggestion/practice is to bracket the LED “pods” with either blue plus equivalent bulbs OR actintic T5 … using the more adjustable LEDs for white/ color balance to kill some of the blue and add realism and perhaps the “ pop” many seek

and again all this is hocus locus mumble jumble without PAR and/or actual spectral analysis of your setup
You shouldn't even post this one, if that suggestion is just a "ridiculously rough guide", or a "rough suggestion/practice". Specially talking about LEDs.
That's why this hobby is starting to stink...
This is not a flame on you personally. I'm just using your post to illustrate. I just know most people would agree with what I just wrote and not tell you anything. And I know that by now you most likely agree with me that you made a mistake suggesting all that.
Anyways... PAR is actually included in the "hocus locus mumble jumble" most of the time by many people today.

Last edited:

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shouldn't even post this one, if that suggestion is just a "ridiculously rough guide", or a "rough suggestion/practice". Specially talking about LEDs.
That's why this hobby is starting to stink...
This is not a flame on you personally. I'm just using your post to illustrate. I just know most people would agree with what I just wrote and not tell you anything. And I know that by now you most likely agree with me that you made a mistake suggesting all that.
Anyways... PAR is actually included in the "hocus locus mumble jumble" most of the time by many people today.
well don’t stack up too many soapboxes on top of each other…..ROTFLMAO …yea I agree with you,
guessing you must’ve sensed my hesitation lol …
How about a PAR per gallon rule lol

anyway I recall those surreal looking minimalistic blue world aquascapes started to appear about a decade back, with bright zoas and neon acros that won TOTM time after time…could be that popularity fueling the “color pop” movement….

@A. grandis….sometimes we use those rough approximations because we might not have a clue about the OP’s skill level/working knowledge….
I thought the “ rough guide” would provide enough disclaimer to avoid punishment via flamethrower :D

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well don’t stack up too many soapboxes on top of each other…..ROTFLMAO …yea I agree with you,
guessing you must’ve sensed my hesitation lol …
How about a PAR per gallon rule lol

anyway I recall those surreal looking minimalistic blue world aquascapes started to appear about a decade back, with bright zoas and neon acros that won TOTM time after time…could be that popularity fueling the “color pop” movement….

@A. grandis….sometimes we use those rough approximations because we might not have a clue about the OP’s skill level/working knowledge….
I thought the “ rough guide” would provide enough disclaimer to avoid punishment via flamethrower :D
I felt that your intentions were actually good and to help somehow.
I also know that the natural contemporary reef language translates that as the norm. I'm very astonished of the number of YouTube videos preaching tons of non sense like that. It's so sad! The reef foundation of this new generation is very uncertain with all what is actually happening.
I just used this to illustrate how far we came with all this "blues" nonsense. I'm glad you agree with me, Doctorgori.

Cheers! ;)

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s all about your “online reputation” and anyone with a cell phone is now a potential “influencer” so vids gotta be distilled down into languages suitable for a broad “ studio audience”

anyway, please forgive the rule o thumb guide lines… inaccurate but possibly demanded by the new generation of toddlers with rimless nanos and equipment run via cell app

OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you removed metal halides and replaced for LEDs? Looks? Then you are very worried about "pop"? My suggestion is for you to revise your goals keeping corals alive. The results will be different and more difficulties with LEDs! They don't "see" as you see. They aren't worried about "pop". So... this new generation of "blues", "fluorescence" and "pops"... This is just futility and doesn't add anything substantial to the system at all. It actually does the opposite!
Define your priorities wisely and trace a bright future for your system.
Good luck.
No I bought a complete system from a friend so I was testing the LED setup with my T5. The metal halides I have are an old setup and have a huge ballast and when I say huge I mean it bigger than a loaf of bread. Lol. Really like the LEDs mainly for the ramp up and off Function. I do like the halide/t5 setup just was curious what spectrum I need to add to the T5 to get the reds and oranges to fluoresce like I see in so many reef tanks. I most likely will switch back to the halides and add a couple more T5 I know they are proven to grow corals. Thanks for the input.

edit: I currently have a 75g 4’x18”x18”. Have not set up the 150g yet. I’ve already got his livestock and most of the equipment. planning on going today to get the tank and stand. Will be a while before I set it up as I have to build a new stand and canopy that will better fit my home decor. You know happy wife thing. Lol. But even with my T5/halide set up reds and oranges don’t really come through. Blues and greens are beautiful tho. I don’t have access to a par meter and honestly I don’t have the kind of money to go buy one at the moment. You know this whole Covid economy . ive never really been impressed with the LEDs except for their control capabilities, meaning ramp up and off function. I know T5/halide is the gold standard as far as coral growth. And honestly I think my 2 250 halide fixtures are way too much for this particular tank. And will be much better suited for the 150g seeing how it is a tall not a long tank. yes I’m a noob when it comes to saltwater and reefing but not to aquariums in general. I’ve done thousands of hours of research before setting this tank up. Had the tank foe 3 years before I was comfortable with my knowledge base before taking the plunge. And as y’all mentioned, thousands of YouTube videos that you have to decipher as bs or ligit info. There are only a few posters out there that I’ve come across that I feel are ligit. As of now I only have 3 corals and one nem. A torch, a brain, and an acan frag. The nem is a rose bubble tip. It is very small at the moment. About the size of a single polip frag. But all are growing like crazy so far. Only had the LED pods on for about 2 day just to check them out. The new canopy will house either all T5 maybe 6-8. Or a combo of 4-T5 with the 2-250 watt metal halides. Probably the later. Just wish I could find a smaller dang ballast for the halides. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I don’t have a hybrid fixture. Well not to begin with. Guess you could say i made one. They are cheap china knock off lights. I got when I bought my buddys 150g setup. I know the t5/halide setup I have is very effective at growing corals. I just thought I’d try out the led and see if it was something I wanted. I’ll most likely go back to the Halides or just go full T5. I was mainly asking what spectrum was needed to get the reds and oranges to fluoresce better. We are getting way off subject. Guess I should have never mentioned the dang LED fixtures.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I bought a complete system from a friend so I was testing the LED setup with my T5. The metal halides I have are an old setup and have a huge ballast and when I say huge I mean it bigger than a loaf of bread. Lol. Really like the LEDs mainly for the ramp up and off Function. I do like the halide/t5 setup just was curious what spectrum I need to add to the T5 to get the reds and oranges to fluoresce like I see in so many reef tanks. I most likely will switch back to the halides and add a couple more T5 I know they are proven to grow corals. Thanks for the input.

edit: I currently have a 75g 4’x18”x18”. Have not set up the 150g yet. I’ve already got his livestock and most of the equipment. planning on going today to get the tank and stand. Will be a while before I set it up as I have to build a new stand and canopy that will better fit my home decor. You know happy wife thing. Lol. But even with my T5/halide set up reds and oranges don’t really come through. Blues and greens are beautiful tho. I don’t have access to a par meter and honestly I don’t have the kind of money to go buy one at the moment. You know this whole Covid economy . ive never really been impressed with the LEDs except for their control capabilities, meaning ramp up and off function. I know T5/halide is the gold standard as far as coral growth. And honestly I think my 2 250 halide fixtures are way too much for this particular tank. And will be much better suited for the 150g seeing how it is a tall not a long tank. yes I’m a noob when it comes to saltwater and reefing but not to aquariums in general. I’ve done thousands of hours of research before setting this tank up. Had the tank foe 3 years before I was comfortable with my knowledge base before taking the plunge. And as y’all mentioned, thousands of YouTube videos that you have to decipher as bs or ligit info. There are only a few posters out there that I’ve come across that I feel are ligit. As of now I only have 3 corals and one nem. A torch, a brain, and an acan frag. The nem is a rose bubble tip. It is very small at the moment. About the size of a single polip frag. But all are growing like crazy so far. Only had the LED pods on for about 2 day just to check them out. The new canopy will house either all T5 maybe 6-8. Or a combo of 4-T5 with the 2-250 watt metal halides. Probably the later. Just wish I could find a smaller dang ballast for the halides. Lol
2 X 250W halides and 4 X 54W ATI Blue Plus for zoanthids in a 75gal tank aren't too much. They actually love the light. You can leave halides on for only 4 to 5 hours a day max and the T5s for 9-10Hours without any problems after SLOWLY adapted to the lights. SPS and LPS love halides!!!! You can leave halides even longer for the SPS and LPS. Just have to adapt properly!
zoas under halides.JPG

Please post pictures of the tank, fixtures and ballast, if you wish.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t have a hybrid fixture. Well not to begin with. Guess you could say i made one. They are cheap china knock off lights. I got when I bought my buddys 150g setup. I know the t5/halide setup I have is very effective at growing corals. I just thought I’d try out the led and see if it was something I wanted. I’ll most likely go back to the Halides or just go full T5. I was mainly asking what spectrum was needed to get the reds and oranges to fluoresce better. We are getting way off subject. Guess I should have never mentioned the dang LED fixtures.
naw In was the one who got a lil derailed, pardon…
just to repackage what I said a lil better;
you will notice if you adjust the white balance you will start to see the oranges…
I’m not sure why purple plus T5’s bring out certain colors like some oranges bu5 it does. So it may be inaccurate to say purple makes orange show up…
could be green also or instead of…
weird but seems a tad of green brings it out.
I’d welcome a opposing view here, we might learn together

OP
OP
Ramdude4G

Ramdude4G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 X 250W halides and 4 X 54W ATI Blue Plus for zoanthids in a 75gal tank aren't too much. They actually love the light. You can leave halides on for only 4 to 5 hours a day max and the T5s for 9-10Hours without any problems after SLOWLY adapted to the lights. SPS and LPS love halides!!!! You can leave halides even longer for the SPS and LPS. Just have to adapt properly!
zoas under halides.JPG

Please post pictures of the tank, fixtures and ballast, if you wish.
Thank you I’ll try to get a pic of the way it is set up now and post later. However I’m probably gonna switch back to the metal halide from LEDs.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I’ll try to get a pic of the way it is set up now and post later. However I’m probably gonna switch back to the metal halide from LEDs.
I would like to see pics of the halides' though. Thanks.

Back