What company manufactures BRS supplies (calcium, alkalinity, and other additives?)?

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We appreciate the interest in our products. Unfortunately, the names of our suppliers for the BRS branded items is kept outside of my access and within the leadership team only. Due to this we aren't able to disclose the name of the companies we source the raw materials from with our customers. If you have any other questions on these products, we'd be happy to help.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, let’s ask them to give up their supplier so you can circumnavigate them and get a better price.
Why would they do that? It literally stops their business.
Who said anything about all that?

Upvote 0

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, let’s ask them to give up their supplier so you can circumnavigate them and get a better price.

Lol good luck going directly to a raw material supplier and getting better pricing than BRS is.

You: Hey Supplier XYZ! I want to buy 50 pounds of Soda Ash.
Then: Who are you? Our minimum order is 10,000 pounds BTW.
You: Ok, what’s the cost for that?
Them: $xxxx
You: That’s more than BRS sells for retail!
Them: They buy 250,000 pounds a year minimum
You: C’mon man! I’m trying to save $1.35 here!!!

(All numbers may or may not be made up for entertainment value.)

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL - you mean the suppliers that were group sourced/sampled collaboratively sometime in 2006 as part of a group buy on RC… where people were trying to find a cheaper alternative than Tropic Marin, ESV, etc. As I remember, one guy backed out and used the information to go into the bulk two-part business with his friend. The thread(s) are likely still online, and my memory could be bad. ;)

I think you will find many a forum post on numerous popular reef forums in 2007 from the same individual, asking for supplier and manufacturers names and opinions for just about everything dosing and top off related, from float switches to pumps and ATO components.

So what makes the OPs question different?

OP (or anybody) can search the old RC archives and find the names of several raw materials suppliers and products classifications that the group sourced and sampled. I am sure the are others and/or suppliers have come and gone since then. To that end, manufacturers of these materials are easy enough to find anyway. It takes a checkbook and a loading dock….

FWIW - the volumes purchased by BRS are significant enough for a discount but likely pale in comparison to what Is used by industry. As this is no longer run out of a garage, I would assume that raw margin is pretty high to cover overhead and if one really wanted to source a large group buy direct from a manufacturer. money could be saved. That holds true of many raw materials….

Upvote 0

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol good luck going directly to a raw material supplier and getting better pricing than BRS is.

This right here.

Upvote 0

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It actually may not be that drastic and BRS likely has to carry a large overhead. Depending on who you contact you can likely source 2,000 pounds of soda ash or calcium at a very reasonable price… freight is an issue, as is a supplier agreement restriction if they know what you want it for and already service the aquarium market. Your point is valid from the perspective of savings vs trouble unless you are going into business.

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back