What Coral Do You Most Regret Adding to Your System?

Literallyhydro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green palys. I have some of the other "pests" in my tanks. Xenia, GSP, Anthelia you name it. They all have their own rock and don't spread to anything else. However, a long time ago I added a small colony of green palythoas to my tank, now it's popping up in completely random locations in the tank. It isn't a disaster yet, but there will come a day that they take over everything. I need to plan measures to eradicate them eventually, or at least contain them.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a lot of people could use a blue laser like Marc Levenson uses to kill Aiptasia. I wonder if any of the aforementioned corals could be taken care of by one.

Does anyone have any experience using a laser to keep nuisance corals in check?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
None. I buy what pieces I have for a reason.
In the past it was Bubble Tip anemones which split regularly and stung everything in site

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tank drained and I can't even get the dead coral off the glass. It's like cemented on!

IMG_3893.JPG
Vinegar dude

freshy&salty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Xenia is a bit of a nuisance to keep in check but still 1 of my faves and im pretty sure my clown would grow legs and kick my backside if i got rid of it. I had a BTA and as my cousin said "everyone has their reason to never own another, now you have yours". It refused to stay put for anything, walked every night, doing his damage until 1 night it decided to pry off the fuzzy powerhead guard thing and try its luck. It lost. I woke up to what looked like a tank filled with skim milk and had to immediately do a water change, pry what was now a stump stuck in the powerhead, etc. My poor pajama cardinal looked like he was coming down off a 5 day bender(i wish i had taken a pic). Luckily everything pulled thru but i was soured on anemones.

*side note, i cant keep GSP for the life of me. Havent actually had any other coral die but GSP, just fades away and dies. Maybe thats lucky?

Ronny Pena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started my first reef, previously I had an FOWLR, last Sunday I was at a friend's house and he told me to avoid soft corals. They're beautiful until you can't control them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using REEF2REEF mobile app

Michael Llabona

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it was my RBTA in a mixed reef. Whenever it split. 1 time every 6 no or so. The clone would walk all over tank and kill some SPS. I removed the rock the nems were on and set up my old biocube as a nem and clown tank

Jerett83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pocillopora!! It drops bombs everywhere, I have a softball size colony and about 10 small frags everywhere. Im going to be working on removing all of it along with my bubble tip nem that's split.

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poccilopora Damacornis (pink skeleton and green polyps). I had to move the colony when it got too large for its spot and the dang thing spit out polyp babies which are now growing everywhere and irritating other corals. I bet I have 30 volunteers at various places in my reef. I really need to get in there and smother them with superglue or something but I haven't had time.

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got some bubbletip anemones from @Lasse and put them in our 10000 litre reef tank at work. That was a bad idea :) Now they spread everywhere amongst the SPS corals, and burn everything in their way. And not easy to get out.. So if you know a fish eating only bubbletip anemones, please let me know!

So thank you Lasse! ;)

I was told by a fellow reefer that the porcupine puffer he recently purchased ate three RBTA’s on him.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree without a doubt was worst ever. Main colony was great, but constantly had to harvest the branches that dropped. They usually managed to come back since could root so deep into the nooks and crannies of the live rock. Eventually used Joe's Juice on remaining trimmed back stub of the unwanted branches that dropped.

GSP a close second but learned how to manage it and keep it trimmed or scrapped off glass where I didn't want it to grow. LFS used to love the sheets of GSP that I'd trade in since they would easily sell to the next rookie.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me when I first started it was a Kenya tree that was spreading everywhere. Then as I moved on to lps it was a Hollywood Stunner chalice that grows extremely fast with super long sweepers that kill everything within a foot. It’s actually my avatar pic before i removed it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back