What corals to grow above the arch and which below?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Slocke
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Slocke

I’m pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2022
Messages
13,715
Reaction score
53,776
Location
Atlanta
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So people probably know me for helping out in sticking or for wrasse snobbery but did you know I am awful at growing corals?

So I got a new tank to replace the awful janky tank I had before. One of my main areas I tried to improve in was the aquascape. As you can see the most prominent feature in this new tank is the absolutely massive arch. I currently love the arch but it does pose the two questions.

What corals can I put above the arch in the presumably very high par area?

What corals can I put below the arch? Are there any photosynthetic ones that will do fine with no direct lighting?

Finally anyone want to give me any advice on flow. It’s a 105 gallon and I currently have a 1000gph return with two ~2000gph power heads set to pulse. I also have a third ~2000 not in use.
IMG_0971.jpeg
 
High par corals would be Jason fox outer space Psammocora. Bubblegum digi does well also. Clams are also a high light choice.
Below the arch Euphyllia and elegance are very nice. I have had success with purple polyp turbinaria from @WWC
 
High par corals would be Jason fox outer space Psammocora. Bubblegum digi does well also. Clams are also a high light choice.
Below the arch Euphyllia and elegance are very nice. I have had success with purple polyp turbinaria from @WWC
Cool. I’ve never heard of Psammacora but certainly a grafting coral would be awesome as there isn’t much room for branching corals.
 
I have basically the same scape with 2 arches like yours in roughly the same tank location also. I added more filler rocks on bottom for more hiding caves for the fish. I just re-did my top arch are and donated multiple big colonies so I could start fresh again with new frags but here is mine with SPS frags on the arch and LPS and softs middle tank and bottom.
 

Attachments

  • 20240426_102749.jpg
    20240426_102749.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 107
Cool. I’ve never heard of Psammacora but certainly a grafting coral would be awesome as there isn’t much room for branching corals.
Hello, thanks for reaching out, you have helped me out a lot. First, what is the light? Blade?
 
Hello, thanks for reaching out, you have helped me out a lot. First, what is the light? Blade?
Yeah. Currently have a grow and a glow but my tank is a lot bluer then I would like so I might add a freshwater one.
 
Yeah. Currently have a grow and a glow but my tank is a lot bluer then I would like so I might add a freshwater one.
That would give you enough light to grow almost anything . I'm going to pm you
 
I have basically the same scape with 2 arches like yours in roughly the same tank location also. I added more filler rocks on bottom for more hiding caves for the fish. I just re-did my top arch are and donated multiple big colonies so I could start fresh again with new frags but here is mine with SPS frags on the arch and LPS and softs middle tank and bottom.
That’s awesome!! Thanks for showing.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new