What corals will clownfish host in?

harVentures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently started a new tank. Already been through the cycle and have had a pair of black and white ocellaris clownfish for about a week.

I was wondering if there were any types of coral that clownfish would host in. I don’t really want to deal with an anemone because it’s only a 28 gallon. Let me know what you think!

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Literally everything in my tank they host :mad: makes me so mad sometimes! My clowns killed off a couple high end torches!

0D5BE8B8-4643-4AD0-ACDD-A69F67A50C72.jpeg

F27F99BD-B5D9-4379-9E2A-6FFAF3A9EABD.jpeg

SynGraves

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clown host a large hairy mushroom a few years ago in my last tank. I currently have a clown in my 10g nano that is hosting a hammer coral. The hammer doesnt seem to mind and opens fully to about the size of a baseball.

OP
OP
H

harVentures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thanks for the replies! I guess I just need to start getting coral and see what happens. Seems like they will host quite a bit.

OP
OP
H

harVentures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will be hosted by whatever they decide. (powerheads, corals, corner of tank....)

Yeah mine are actually just hanging out in the back of the tank right now. Right behind/above one of the returns. I'm trying to figure out if they will move away from there if they have something more exciting to go to.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you don't want to deal with an anemone, but if you can find a Heteractis malu anemone, it should be fine in a 28 gallon tank and will host ocellaris. I had one in a 10 gallon tank and it did fine. They stay in the sandbed and don't move when they've found a place that they like. Just make sure you get a malu and not Heteractis crispa which is also sometimes referred to as a sebae (or seabae) anemone.

In terms of corals, they seem to like most LPS (torch, hammer, etc.).

OP
OP
H

harVentures

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that you don't want to deal with an anemone, but if you can find a Heteractis malu anemone, it should be fine in a 28 gallon tank and will host ocellaris. I had one in a 10 gallon tank and it did fine. They stay in the sandbed and don't move when they've found a place that they like. Just make sure you get a malu and not Heteractis crispa which is also sometimes referred to as a sebae (or seabae) anemone.

In terms of corals, they seem to like most LPS (torch, hammer, etc.).

OK thanks for the info. I'll look into it. I guess they don't get too big either since yours was in a 10 gallon?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine are actually just hanging out in the back of the tank right now. Right behind/above one of the returns. I'm trying to figure out if they will move away from there if they have something more exciting to go to.

Mine did that for a year, then eventually moved to the frogspawn. Still don't go near any of the BTA's

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got 2 anemones in my tank.. But one clown hosts my surface skimmer (filter) while the clown hosts my zoas and sucks the tenticulls off of my Duncan.. Anyone want to re-home 2 clowns in the Seattle area lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back