What could be wrong with my RODI?

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded to the RODI from Marine Depot - a 100 gpd value unit. It’s been working fine. Our well water has about 450 tds going in and has been 0 coming out. I’m running water today and tested it and it’s at 16 tds. I go through DI resin very quickly but at least 1/3 of it is still blue. Any ideas what’s going on? I do have resin so I could change it but it’s not exhausted yet. I think I’ve only been using this unit for a month or two on a 32g tank so it hasn’t gotten much use.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well water can be hard water and you will burn through filters and resin. I had a similar issue with exhausting membranes and resin but for me it was chloramines. In your case it might be far cheaper to use distilled water. I switched to distilled water and the tank has never looked better. If convenience is important you can have it delivered from a grocery store if you live in a city or a water delivery company

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered running a 2nd membrane if it’s feasible for you?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What TDS meter are you using? An inline style or hand held measuring the end product? I ask, because I have accidentally changed the place my Inline meter reads. Basically, I bumped the switch from point 1 to 2. Check that First.

Did you document what the TDS was post RO production and pre DI? This can tell you where the fail might be.

Another thing you might need to do is increase your DI side from a single to a triple

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a handheld meter but think I’ve discovered the issue. Our water is routinely 450 tds going in. But we had torrential rains last night and the yard is flooded. Our tap water is at 1375 tds right now. Yikes.

I’m not really worried about making my unit more efficient. Since I run so little water through it (4 or 5 gallons a week) going thru a lot of DI resin doesn’t really matter. But I guess I found the limits of the system. It can’t handle 1375 tds;)o_O

I guess I’m going on a hunt for 5 gallons of water this afternoon...

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd update. Since I have bulk DI resin sitting around and my RODI Buddie, I took the DI canister off that, put new resin in it, and put it on as a second DI canister. Worked great and water is now 0 again. Our well water is still super elevated right now. We think it's due to not only the large amount of standing water, but also that we're using more water in the home since we're all here and our treatment system probably can't keep up. Hopefully it goes back down soon.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back