What didn't I do wrong? CP to blame?

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got a juvenile queen angel, racoon butterfly and royal gramma (all about 1.5"-2") from LA two weeks ago in qt. Got them eating the first few days and notices the butterfly constantly yawning so after a few days I did 6 days of hypo at 1.009. After that, I raised the sg slowly within 3 days. Last night I did a 60 min acriflavine bath and then transferred them into a sterile 10g qt with all new equipment with a brand new hob filter and seeded the sponge with bio spira (no carbon media). All the fish were doing fine and were even eating right away.
I then added 0.42g of cp to a small cup with some tank water in it, mixed it well and added it to the tank. This was about midnight last night. By 5am I found the royal gramma dead and both the racoon and the angel were going crazy in the tank swimming erratically and restlessly. Was vey strange. Quickly I did a 50% water change and ran carbon immediately. Couple of hours latter both fish are back to their normal behavior and started eating again.
Ammonia badge was reading zero, got good aeration from the HOB, and temp and Sg is all stable. This was a last batch of cp that I had left and had used before with no issues.
Now I have no idea what to do next or how to proceed with the rest of my qt protocol. I was hoping to avoid using copper.
Did I do something wrong? Any advice or help would be appreciated. I was also on the second day of feeding metroplex/focus soaked food for some white stringy poop that was seen a few times. Thanks in advance.
#reefsquad.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the CP or QT itself got cross contaminated by something?

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were do I start. Please don't take this the wrong way, only trying to help. You are trying to QT 3 fish at one time of different types, not a good idea. The size of the first tank I assume was a 10gal, way to small for three fish. " butterfly constantly yawning so after a few days I did 6 days of hypo at 1.009", yawning to me means lack of oxygen, hypo is for ick, and 6 days isn't long enough to do anything, also raising the salinity from hypo should be done over 7 days. Gave them chemical bath, transferred them to new tank and then added CP. All because the butterfly was yawning or was there more that you didn't say, that is a lot of stress on new fish. " Quickly I did a 50% water change and ran carbon immediately" this was a good idea. If I were you I would continue to monitor the quality of water, ammonia and nitrite, feed sparingly, observe them and only minister medicine if there is an issue. Please ask for assistance if you are not sure on how to treat a symptom. Good Luck

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
butterfly constantly yawning so after a few days I did 6 days of hypo at 1.009", yawning to me means lack of oxygen, hypo is for ick, and 6 days isn't long enough to do anything

Yawning is a symptom of gill flukes (monogeneans), and hyposalinity for 5 days will eradicate them.

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the CP or QT itself got cross contaminated by something?
Not at all that I can think off. The CP was in a tight container in a small bubble wrap envelope put inside a box. I have always done qt but my routine has been TTM but with velvet becoming so popular now a days I wanted to be more diligent with my qt protocol. What's my next option?

Were do I start. Please don't take this the wrong way, only trying to help. You are trying to QT 3 fish at one time of different types, not a good idea. The size of the first tank I assume was a 10gal, way to small for three fish. " butterfly constantly yawning so after a few days I did 6 days of hypo at 1.009", yawning to me means lack of oxygen, hypo is for ick, and 6 days isn't long enough to do anything, also raising the salinity from hypo should be done over 7 days. Gave them chemical bath, transferred them to new tank and then added CP. All because the butterfly was yawning or was there more that you didn't say, that is a lot of stress on new fish. " Quickly I did a 50% water change and ran carbon immediately" this was a good idea. If I were you I would continue to monitor the quality of water, ammonia and nitrite, feed sparingly, observe them and only minister medicine if there is an issue. Please ask for assistance if you are not sure on how to treat a symptom. Good Luck
Thanks for your input. Hypo was done to eliminate flukes and not any other parasites which is the reason I started treatment with CP afterwards. the whole time there was zero ammonia in the qt and I did 20%-40% water changes on a daily basis. From my understanding Hypo has tendency of masking velvet so prophylactic treatment to prevent it was what I was going for before it was too late.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I drink 1 glass of bear, 1 glass of red wine, a glass of white wine, a whiskey, a brandy and two Cubra libre and visit an amusement park with a lot of roller coasters.. I got very drunk and today I can have a role in "walking dead". Which of this different things to blame? :)

You have done a cocktail of treatments with unknown interactions and a lot of environmental changes (stress factors) in short time. IMO - you can´t blame any single compound for the outcome. I agree with @Mr. Limpid about how to act from now.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
learned that the hard way in collage not to mix booze But honestly I dont see what Cocktail of treatment you are talking about. Basically followed the stickies for treatment and prevention. Cp was not mixed with any other meds like prazipro, hypo, GC, prime, or anything else.
hypo was done by itself and after completion raised the levels slowly back up and I did that just so no drugs would have to be used to treat for flukes.
Stress factor would have been true if the fish were not eating when transferred and were already acting weird which was not the case. Which part should I have done differently and how so I don't make the mistake again. Thanks.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also on the second day of feeding metroplex/focus soaked food for some white stringy poop
Last night I did a 60 min acriflavine bath
I then added 0.42g of cp to a small cup with some tank water in it, mixed it well and added it to the tank.

If not a cocktail - what is then

I did 6 days of hypo at 1.009. After that, I raised the sg slowly within 3 days.
and then transferred them into a sterile 10g qt

All of this in 2 weeks - rather like a fish roller coaster for me

And I think you have consider more stress factors here than just moved them home to you 14 days ago

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
lagatbezan

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I see what you mean. i feel your approach is more to observe then to treat prophylacticly. I just didn't want to see velvet/ich and then it's too late.
So do you suggest I just keep them in the 10g and observe? For how long? After how long of no treatment is it safe to assume no parasites?
The butterfly is still occasionally yawning (not as much as pre hypo) and I did notice an occasion of head shaking as well with him.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back