• Photos.app.zip
    26.5 MB · Views: 154

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 45 by 17 by 17 acrylic sump. It was my 1st acrylic buildof that size. It leaked a little at 1st. a few touch ups , It works just fine.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many things to list. But in terms of pure woodworking I'd have to say my floating R420R + T5 canopy came out the best. Usually after a project like this I have a few craftsmanship issues I'm not happy with, but that wasn't the case with the canopy.

4510e358077404b2c86f4c43f05861f1.jpg

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any DIY on this build yet. Except the frame that holds the light up and the "sump".
I'll be adding a DIY external fuge and possibly a DIY frag tank when everything else is complete :)
5596212d7b306efa3bdc885bfe99598c.jpg

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any DIY on this build yet. Except the frame that holds the light up and the "sump".
I'll be adding a DIY external fuge and possibly a DIY frag tank when everything else is complete :)
5596212d7b306efa3bdc885bfe99598c.jpg
Sounds like you're off to a good start for you DIY future!

And hey, a sump is a sump. One of the nicest tanks I've seen in person had a big Rubbermaid tote sump!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're off to a good start for you DIY future!

And hey, a sump is a sump. One of the nicest tanks I've seen in person had a big Rubbermaid tote sump!

Thanks mate!
My sump is just one of those plastic stackable storage containers cut down to size with a 5gal tank inside it to keep the water level consistent for the skimmer. It's not pretty, but it does the job :)

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole system is a lot of DIY and I am Proud of it. Certainly not going to win any beauty contest but it is extremely effective, durable, modular, and less costly.

See my build, "Bif's Reef" in the SPS section.

23d7d07122b2c7c5c5cd62a2f77d5ccf.jpg

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a wifi 6 channel doser controller from scratch with a website for controlling it.

The brain is a particle photon and the unit works with any 12v-24v peristaltic dosing pump (just not steppers yet).

9bc00747b8478a407648c8f58c2a8b6d.jpg
Electronics is where I draw the line. Like, I had a hard time wiring the ballast for my retrofit. I would love to eventually get to the point that I feel comfortable building lights and dosers and whatnot. I am just currently so inept that it's going to take time to learn, a lot of time...

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My whole system is a lot of DIY and I am Proud of it. Certainly not going to win any beauty contest but it is extremely effective, durable, modular, and less costly.

See my build, "Bif's Reef" in the SPS section.

23d7d07122b2c7c5c5cd62a2f77d5ccf.jpg
I am envious of you fish room... ;Meh

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would have to be my T5 retrofit/floating canopy (which there seem to be a lot of floating around ;)). What else have people done that they can say they are proud of? I know there's one user on here *ahem* @Clayton Jessup that has a lot of sweet stuff going on. Anyone else?

20170304_152834.jpg

20170305_082041.jpg
how much weight is your canopy? what type of pipe are you using to hold up the canopy?

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much weight is your canopy? what type of pipe are you using to hold up the canopy?
If I had to guess I'd say it weighs 35 lbs. I used 1/4" electrical conduit that's been painted black. If knew I was going to actually be putting weight on the thing I would've gone with 1/2". Lol it's bends pretty bad...

Below is a closeup of how I put it together (if you have a tool you can bend the conduit yourself). They are attached to four foot section that are screwed straight into the stand using hole straps.

20160312_075213.jpg

Timothy Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most proud of my 150 gallons and 300 gallon reef tanks I started 17 years ago when you could only get LPS knocking them out of the park I tried LEDs with minimal two somewhat harmful to SPS corals and too much light down to the LPS so I went back to metal halides I have money corals that I collected in 2000 that are now protected species I split bud and remove fragments that I sell back to my Coral dealer he was the one that gave them to me well sold now he's my number one customer he has no access to these corals other than mine and he knows my tanks are kept very well he also has people wanting these corals reproduce Bud split aquaculture there's no other way of gaining access to these species just look at the Great Barrier Reef it's dead I have heard that when the oceans are appropriate Coral will be taken from or sold from reef tanks to repopulate The Disappearing reefs and corals so keep up your good work guys passion number one reason I'm in this I've been in it for 17 years I always late anything that goes in my tank for 3 weeks I have never knock on wood headache Coral kill off in my tank I have seen it at others it takes very little time to turn your corals into Stony skeletons so always be willing and have an open mind take facts that are given to you from others here Google it check it for fax and make a decision wisely the number one mistake besides an isolation tank is to take corals from different parts of the globe and oceans and try to make them all fit together it's impossible some will thrive some will die I am now starting in the SPs Coral learning a lot there was none of this when I started very interesting watching these girls I have seen white tips and started to freak out only to be told it is skeleton growth and it's waiting for the LG two cover it I take my passions very seriously and the results from the past 17 years and I do make money from my passion I have protected species that can no longer be collected I take these and make many many more my Coral the alert has people that want my specific corals I will go to these people's house look at the tank the filtration there lighting and if they are going to be a true Reef Aquarius or a part time to know time Reef tankers I do not let my protected species go out to anyone that cannot provide and make them grow I'd rather watch it die in my tank then have somebody else do it for me I have kept these species specifically for this purpose and people say I'm bad because I make money on it I can I can tell you what the electric bill yeah I'm not I'm not making money I got a 150 gallon and a 300 gallon with two 400 metal white metal halide and to 600 metal halides tried LEDs does not even compare to metal halide so be proud and what you do and the Beautiful tanks you have designed to watch in amazement how all the tank members assimilate with each other I just purchased a Haitian pink tooth Anatomy it took out my $500 Hammer Coral within 4 hours it was nothing but a skeleton but I will bounce back I still have tiny parts of that Coral to grow most important number one rule in reef tank aquarium and people on this site don't seem to get it use a isolation tank for any new inhabitants going into your tank isolate 10 to 14 days then determine where I'll put it in the other tanks and also remember people I don't know if they're not aware of this corals are very protective of their space and they will kill other corals sting them and eating them to have room to grow and always pick your Coral from the same place I get everything from Fiji that's where I decided I like the corals the best if you take corals from all over the world and from different oceans you will never find a Harmony because he's corals do not belong together they have different water qualities lighting times current motions and potential growth test to be put ins the type of reef tank you will have if you collect from one region they all will have similar water qualities and Light intensities that will allow your whole tank to grow and be the most beautiful thing you'll ever see

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back