What do fish think of us?

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a question I often ponder is what my fish think of of me when they see me outside the tank. Do they understand I'm a being? Could they possibly comprehend the entire world outside of water? Are we as humans in "water" and don't know of an entire world outside of "water" same as the fish? Interesting fishlosophy going on here. Any thoughts are welcome, keep it friendly. ;)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think they view you as a source of food and that's about it. Even though some fish do seem to have personalities i feel like it's more of an innate instinct to act that way. (And it serves them well since we pay them extra attention and make sure to keep them happy when we feel a fish is attached to us.)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Delivery Dashing GIF by DoorDash

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my mind my fish consider me a magical God who takes care of them.

The nice thing is even if you can scientifically explain to me that's not right i probably won't understand anyway so as far as I am concerned will always be Fish God in their eyes.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my mind my fish consider me a magical God who takes care of them.

The nice thing is even if you can scientifically explain to me that's not right i probably won't understand anyway so as far as I am concerned will always be Fish God in their eyes.
I like to think of myself as reef god Bob, bringer of brine shrimp.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can't think, same fish will try to eat another worm on a hook because first time fish slipped away. Fish will go after food and run away from predators,
Fish does memorise the safe spots and food source spots. It's just naturally build into them.
.....maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...
One thing for sure, no one have ever asked the fish, and got the answer.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish can't think, same fish will try to eat another worm on a hook because first time fish slipped away. Fish will go after food and run away from predators,
Fish does memorise the safe spots and food source spots. It's just naturally build into them.
.....maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong...
One thing for sure, no one have ever asked the fish, and got the answer.

To be fair maybe some fish just smarter than others. I mean they could chatting on their forums now about "humans can't think they keep eating tide pods"

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish think of me as a little punk beotch, their chew toy, a punching bag. Hateful little guys.

Pink streaked and possum wrasses look at me kind of curiously, like they know that “whatever that thing is, he’s as weird as me.”

The fairy wrasses seem the most charismatic and inquisitive. They follow me along the glass, will swim up face to face if I put my nose on the glass. So maybe they see me as a… friend? :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had that "God complex" as well. They have to see us in some sort of megalithic way as the almighty bringer of everything. Our hands come in and disrupt their habitat but at the same time bring them food. Must be very confused little creatures at some points.

My hawkfish tho.. there's thought behind those deep, black eyes.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had that "God complex" as well. They have to see us in some sort of megalithic way as the almighty bringer of everything. Our hands come in and disrupt their habitat but at the same time bring them food. Must be very confused little creatures at some points.

My hawkfish tho.. there's thought behind those deep, black eyes.

Had a hawk fish for many years. He spent his long, happy life staring at me in a way that I couldn’t explain. Perched in weird positions, just watching me, staring into the deepest corners of my soul, uncovering my ethereal nature. Never judgingly, but deeply.

Now I miss my hawk fish lol

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my first freshwater community tank a long time ago, along with the usual neons and guppies etc. I had three angelfish. Whenever I moved close to the tank to look in, those three angelfish would be on the other side, watching me. What did they think of me? I dunno, but to this day I'm convinced I was being studied.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be they think of us in the exact opposite. To them we are the maid, the Mx guy, the butler, the cook, the server And window washer. We do everything for them and they just swim around and enjoy life. Seems like they are God and we are the lowly servants.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back