What Do Folks Do For Rock These Days?

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a long time since I last had a reef tank. The last tank I had was stocked with Fiji Rock, really nice stuff, but I think times have changed over the past 20 years! So what;s the optimal way to go now with rock? I am seeing this dry live rock, man made live rock, rock from Florida. I'm just a little confuzzled.

The rock will be for a 90 gallon tank. Ideally, and only if this will work, I'd like to order something well before my tank arrives so I can work on some aquascaping.

I look forward to your replies, and do apologize for the influx of questions!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my new 600 build I used Caribsea Life Rock. 1 Mega Cave, and 3 of the 36” arches in this picture, I ended up adding a second cave as the left side just looked to bare to me.
B9692878-8C30-4DD1-B86C-DE97AEB8C4D4.jpeg

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s man made dry rock so it is bought dry so no worries. To get it established for the tank I rinsed it off with rodi water then put it in a tote for 2 months added some bottled bacteria and a piece of shrimp that I would feed my groupers with and let it soak.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I had a cheap powerheads to keep water flow. I did this in my garage which stays in the low 80’s as long as the kids don’t go in and out a million times with their bikes so I didn’t have to use a heater.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there any other options other than this man made or quarry rock I will be doing that the next time around. Seeding this rock and getting it suitable for SPS use takes far too long imo.
Some store sell wet rock that they have taken out of service or customer tanks but the risk of pets these days are just way to high.
The last wet rock I bought sat in a tote of water for 6 months and low and behold after adding it to my take months later I found a large Polyclad Flatworm coming out of the rock and it ate all my clams and snails before I found it. It’s definitely better to wait then to rush. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast, besides for sps it’s best to have a the tank running a year or more so it’s fully stable before adding corals. Can it be done in less time yes but at a much much higher risk of losing livestock.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some store sell wet rock that they have taken out of service or customer tanks but the risk of pets these days are just way to high.
The last wet rock I bought sat in a tote of water for 6 months and low and behold after adding it to my take months later I found a large Polyclad Flatworm coming out of the rock and it ate all my clams and snails before I found it. It’s definitely better to wait then to rush. Nothing good in this hobby happens fast, besides for sps it’s best to have a the tank running a year or more so it’s fully stable before adding corals. Can it be done in less time yes but at a much much higher risk of losing livestock.
it took more than a year before things stabilized ime. I know Mike Paletta has had a similar experience with that rock too.

I will try to find someone that is pulling down a tank that I trust or too cook some live rock. (not sure if cooking is the term Im looking for. Im talking about using bleach or acid to kill it off) I dont know for sure but real live rock seems to be more porous and able to sustain sps quicker than man made stuff.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up several boxes of dry rock from amazon, 40lbs for around $50. Then some live rock from fl or puerto rico through ebay.

Djames707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever find a piece of live rock at an lfs that I really like I’ll put it in a bucket or tote with really salty water, I’d rather make sure there are no bad hitchhikers, live sand, bottled bacteria and time will turn any rock into live rock.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it took more than a year before things stabilized ime. I know Mike Paletta has had a similar experience with that rock too.

I will try to find someone that is pulling down a tank that I trust or too cook some live rock. (not sure if cooking is the term Im looking for. Im talking about using bleach or acid to kill it off) I dont know for sure but real live rock seems to be more porous and able to sustain sps quicker than man made stuff.
Yea that why always say at least a year. Personally my first year of a complete new build is fish only, then maybe some lps, then 6 months later sps, but that’s just me slow like a turtle lol

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

SoCalVictor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do buy Live Rock from the LFS, usually from tank teardowns. Good points about unintended hitch hikers. Will the salty water kill the 'good' stuff?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies thus far! I personally don't like the sound of waiting that long for the rock to seed, so I may have to look at some form of wet rock and maybe do half and half. There are a few folks like this https://www.kpaquatics.com/product/aquacultured-live-rock/ the company I was really interested in though was these guys https://tbsaltwater.com/ They seem to get very good reviews.

I highly recommend KP aquatics rock, I’m using it in my current build and love it!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally bought all live rock for my display. About half of what’s in there now. Over time I stated building it up with Reef Ready Rock, with the purple coloring on it. I would give the rock a nice rinse and then just put in tank. Never had any problems. Within a month my own coralline covers it and it’s good...

kered

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found 40lbs of dry rock on offer up and once i get the tank up and running i live in Florida so im going to drive over and pick up the probably 50-60 lbs from TBS

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back