What do I do about all this algae?

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hairline algae is horrible and need to get rid of it because it looks horrible. What do I add or do?
E236FA64-A338-4C72-9734-DFEEE14DB1BF.jpeg
C4B6E04A-2105-4F22-AD6B-C3F4C054F546.jpeg
5FD3F49E-4FE1-4EFE-8C3E-CBBB0166A83A.jpeg

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Try to take pictures with white light.
its hard to identify which algae is this in blue.

Im not an expert, but there are multiple ways to control it.

Keep in mind that what you are seeing - algae grow - its an "effect". It's an effect of something happening triggering this.

You should work to ultimately solve the root cause of the algae growth, which is very likely to be too much nutrients in the water.

- siphon out. Seconds
- Consider adding a clean up crew to eat this. Days to weeks
- Consider adding mollies to eat them. Days to weeks
- Chemicals, like microbacter clean, vibrant and others. Days to weeks
- Reduce your lights or even try a total black out. Read further instructions. Days to weeks.

What is probably going to fix the root cause:
- Good house keeping. Zero tds RO/DI water, nutrient exportion through WC's and in a couple Months they should dissapear.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

Keep in mind that what you are seeing - algae grow - its an "effect". It's an effect of something happening triggering this.

You should work to ultimately solve the root cause of the algae growth, which is very likely to be too much nutrients in the water.

- siphon out. Seconds
- Reduce your lights or even try a total black out. Read further instructions. Days to weeks.

- Good house keeping. Zero tds RO/DI water, nutrient exportion through WC's and in a couple Months they should dissapear.

There is a lot of hairline algae

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree we need some white light pics before any useful advice can be given. Include current parameters and tank age also please.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's new (what looks like started from dry) rock. It's going to get algae. Especially if there are not enough herbivores to eat the algae. The rock has to go through a process where different organisms establish themselves on the surface and in the pores of the rock. If there's getting to be too much of it or you don't like how it looks, have you tried just pulling it out manually?

How long has your tank been setup? From reading your other threads, it looks like you've had some fish deaths recently. I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe take it slow for a bit? Don't add more fish, and if you didn't already have coral, I'd say don't add coral for a couple months and just leave the lights off, let the rock season and mature. But since you have coral, I'd say stick to hardy, beginner coral, avoid anything really sensitive for a while.

Also, if you want to learn more about algae, I'd highly recommend watching this video:

OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

- siphon out. Seconds

Agree we need some white light pics before any useful advice can be given. Include current parameters and tank age also please.
The blue lighting is making the Algae look like stringy cyanobacteria.
But it's a pretty blue color, I like it.
It's new (what looks like started from dry) rock. It's going to get algae. Especially if there are not enough herbivores to eat the algae. The rock has to go through a process where different organisms establish themselves on the surface and in the pores of the rock. If there's getting to be too much of it or you don't like how it looks, have you tried just pulling it out manually?

How long has your tank been setup? From reading your other threads, it looks like you've had some fish deaths recently. I'm sorry to hear that.

Maybe take it slow for a bit? Don't add more fish, and if you didn't already have coral, I'd say don't add coral for a couple months and just leave the lights off, let the rock season and mature. But since you have coral, I'd say stick to hardy, beginner coral, avoid anything really sensitive for a while.

Also, if you want to learn more about algae, I'd highly recommend watching this video:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Judging from these new pics, you have hair and cyano.
Just so we understand, it's not hairline algae. It is called green hair algae also known as GHA.
I totally agree with what's been said, new tank, ugly phase. Need to wait it out, get some algae eaters, pick out manually, let the tank/system stabilize.
Suck out cyano with water changes.

OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so we understand, it's not hairline algae. It is called green hair algae also known as GHA.
I totally agree with what's been said, new tank, ugly phase. Need to wait it out, get some algae eaters, pick out manually, let the tank/system stabilize.
What algae eaters in specific

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any CuC. Time to check out reefcleaners.org and do some manual removal

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you see GHA? Nothing in there is green, and Green Hair Algae, is first and foremost, Green. I also don't see any Cyano... Cyano is a red sludge that sits on the substrate (Sometimes it's also green, but not generally in a reef tank)...

To the OP use these as visual guides/cues

Green Hair Algae:
1674877979309.png

Cyanobacteria:
1674878057752.png

Diatoms:
1674879313336.png

Dinoflagellates (4 Images):
1674879394269.png

1674879434639.png

1674879486635.png

There are other species of Dinoflagellates and Diatoms that present differently. The best way to distinguish between the two is using a microscope. My guess is, looking at the "hairline algae" in all of the OPs pictures, it's a form of Dinoflagellates. A lot of people will tell you to target the specific species, for me, I'd do the following:

1) Tank temp to 83 degrees for 2 weeks
2) Slowly raise your Nitrates to 10
3) Slowly raise your Phosphates to 0.04-0.1
4) Dose SpongExcel as per the directions on the bottle
5) Get a UV Sterilizer: 1 watt for every 3 gallons of water, and run the pump at 3x tank turnover
6) If you get the UV Sterilizer, run a lower lighting schedule, or do a 3 day blackout (cover the sides of your tank with cardboard and don't let any light in)
7) Continue to run the tank at 83 degrees for the full two weeks from the time you get the sterilizer.

What you're doing: Dino's don't like warmer water, they will release into the water column or go dormant in its presence. Raising your nutrients (NO3/PO4) allows other algae competitors to take hold (ones more manageable with CUC). SpongExcel is silicates, which will promote diatom growth (again a lot easier to manage with CUC). UV will sterilize some species of Dino's so they cannot reproduce, but in order for it to be effective they have to release from their surface, this is why the lower lighting/blackout and the raised temps are a good idea (raised temps is good with or without to promote dormancy). Once the other species take hold, they will outcompete the Dino's for food, and your CUC will keep them in check.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales

please will you post here, guide the repair of the Op’s tank live time. It’s hard for aquarists to apply ordered steps in invasion reefs from the video, but if you begin a custom coaching fix that will tie it all in.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you see GHA? Nothing in there is green, and Green Hair Algae, is first and foremost, Green. I also don't see any Cyano... Cyano is a red sludge that sits on the substrate (Sometimes it's also green, but not generally in a reef tank)...

To the OP use these as visual guides/cues

Green Hair Algae:
1674877979309.png

Cyanobacteria:
1674878057752.png

Diatoms:
1674879313336.png

Dinoflagellates (4 Images):
1674879394269.png

1674879434639.png

1674879486635.png

There are other species of Dinoflagellates and Diatoms that present differently. The best way to distinguish between the two is using a microscope. My guess is, looking at the "hairline algae" in all of the OPs pictures, it's a form of Dinoflagellates. A lot of people will tell you to target the specific species, for me, I'd do the following:

1) Tank temp to 83 degrees for 2 weeks
2) Slowly raise your Nitrates to 10
3) Slowly raise your Phosphates to 0.04-0.1
4) Dose SpongExcel as per the directions on the bottle
5) Get a UV Sterilizer: 1 watt for every 3 gallons of water, and run the pump at 3x tank turnover
6) If you get the UV Sterilizer, run a lower lighting schedule, or do a 3 day blackout (cover the sides of your tank with cardboard and don't let any light in)
7) Continue to run the tank at 83 degrees for the full two weeks from the time you get the sterilizer.

What you're doing: Dino's don't like warmer water, they will release into the water column or go dormant in its presence. Raising your nutrients (NO3/PO4) allows other algae competitors to take hold (ones more manageable with CUC). SpongExcel is silicates, which will promote diatom growth (again a lot easier to manage with CUC). UV will sterilize some species of Dino's so they cannot reproduce, but in order for it to be effective they have to release from their surface, this is why the lower lighting/blackout and the raised temps are a good idea (raised temps is good with or without to promote dormancy). Once the other species take hold, they will outcompete the Dino's for food, and your CUC will keep them in check.
This is cyano, it does come in green, red, and this looks like black but is really a very dark dark red.
I have the same species in my sump.

Screenshot_20230128_090634_Chrome.jpg

As for the hair, I was going more on what he said. True, I don't see it here, but it could be under some of that cyano.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back