What do I need for dimmable T5s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Currently I'm running a bunch of Kessils which are controlled by the Kessil controller. If I'd like to use the Profilux 4e to controll dimming of the T5's do I need any additional GHL hardware?

Thanks,
Ben

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have two choices for dimming t5s with GHL -

1. through the 0-10v port and a dimmer card PL-0556 card
2. through the Dali card PL-0600

Either option requires a suitable dimmable t5 ballast. GHL sell these in various sizes and both options.

I have previously used the Dali version as it allows multiple ballasts to be controlled daisy chained via a single wire from the GHL - and it also kept the L ports free for other uses. (I bought Dali ballasts from eBay and diyed my own light)

Hope that helps

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the S-Port & L-Port Breakout Box? According to the site it can control lights (and looks a little better). Says it comes with 2 RJ12 cables which I'm assuming would connect to the 0-10V ports on the back of the controller?

As for the ballast, I bought the dimmable T5 retrofit kit from Bulk Reef. Comes with a dimmable ballast.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a video on using the breakout box to control a kessil light via the 1-10 volt port and the S Port and L Port breakout box.

I am currently testing and soon will be doing a video on using the s port and l port breakout box.l on T5 dimmable ballast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a video on using the breakout box to control a kessil light via the 1-10 volt port and the S Port and L Port breakout box.

I am currently testing and soon will be doing a video on using the s port and l port breakout box.

Great video! Thanks!!

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the S-Port & L-Port Breakout Box? According to the site it can control lights (and looks a little better). Says it comes with 2 RJ12 cables which I'm assuming would connect to the 0-10V ports on the back of the controller?

As for the ballast, I bought the dimmable T5 retrofit kit from Bulk Reef. Comes with a dimmable ballast.

Yes, sorry I forgot about the breakout box as an option. I imagine the only downside is that it doesn’t turn your ballast off with dimmed to 0 like the other options...but not a big issue.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true what I am doing is placing them on a power bar and will turn on the power bar 15 minutes before and turn off 15 minutes after. This will at least turn the ballast off when it at 0.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true what I am doing is placing them on a power bar and will turn on the power bar 15 minutes before and turn off 15 minutes after. This will at least turn the ballast off when it at 0.
Thought about that. For now I think I will just roll with the dim to zero option. My power bar is full. Since, at the moment, I don't foresee adding anything else to the tank I don't want to buy a full power bar for one outlet.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys.... I need some help. I'm finally trying to hook this up but struggling.

I'm trying to dim some T5s. The ballast has 2 ports for dimming (-)Dimming and (+) Control.

I then connected the (+) Control wire on the ballast to the 12V port 1 on the S&L box. I connected the (-)Dimming wire to the port 2 on the break out box 1-10v port.

The RJ45 cable is in the L1/L2 port on the controller.

As soon as I plug everything in the T5's go out. I've gone into both 1-10v interface area of GHL Connect as Illiumination Channels and turned all the lights intensity to 100 and nothing happens.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bdare any chance you can post a picture of the breakout box with the cover off? I think the wires might not be making a good connection inside the box and I know I had difficulty with the terminal block

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.... I've made a little progress. I moved the wire from port 1 on the breakout box to port 4 (relay). Now the lights come on and I can definitely dim them. That's the great news. The bad news is even when I put intensity and color to zero, the lights stay on. I was really hoping they would turn off when dimming hit 0% intensity.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you should be connecting (-)Dimming to (3) GND and (+) Control to the (2) 1-10V, but to be honest I am just guessing. It is annoying that I couldn't quickly find instructions for the ballast BRS sells online to assist.

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nteresting... I might have to try switching some wires around. I got the dimming to work by connecting the following

Ballast......................Breakout box
(-) Dimming -----> 1-10v interface
(+) Control -----> Relay 1

Problem is... the lights dim, but don't turn off at 0%

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 1-10v port when you have the brightness set to 0 does it show voltage? Or is it also reading 0?

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should connect the “Dimming control” (that’s the way its meant to be read and not seperatly) (-) to gnd on the breakout box and (+) to one of the 1-10v terminals. And then the breakoutbox to one of the L-ports (Yellow) on the Profilux

do not reverse the polarity or connect anything to 12V or the breakout to the s-port, as that will likely destroy the ballast and or profilux

here is a 3 channel example, with both of the L channels (well 4 actually but via 2 cables) connected to the profilux

E661BDC2-2816-4C3D-808D-40E40AFCC1AB.png

On the bottom two L port breakouts, white is (+) for channel 1, red is (+) for channel 2, and the blues are the (-), so ground, and thus can be tied together.

on the top part the black/white white (+) is channel 4 and the black wire is the corresponding (-), so ground.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back