What do I need for dimmable T5s?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure it would if it was wired up correctly. It works perfectly for me...
Pretty sure it won't. I submitted a ticket to GHL. They confirmed the S&L breakout box will always send power. You can't turn it all the way off unless the device is plugged into a controllable outlet on the controller. I ended up buying a
EVG-AP-2F-HIC and now it works.

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it won't. I submitted a ticket to GHL. They confirmed the S&L breakout box will always send power. You can't turn it all the way off unless the device is plugged into a controllable outlet on the controller. I ended up buying a
EVG-AP-2F-HIC and now it works.
There are pins that are always powered ofcourse, like the 12V pins for example. But the potential between the 1-10V <-> GND pins can surely be 0. I’ll measure them tonight just to be sure I’m not writing nonsense:D

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you’ve misunderstood eachother with GHL, because mine def. put’s out 0V, when that L-port is directed to do so...

51B11949-E016-4477-A48D-92290BB93DCE.jpeg

24FE7835-37B6-44AF-B448-41D00B0B2012.jpeg

Anyway.. you got it working, and that’s what matters at the end of the day:)

OP
OP
bdare

bdare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what GHL support wrote. Maybe he was just mis-informed:
Hi,
actually the lowest dimming level is at 1 volt, where the power supply is operating at its minimum level.
To shutdown the fixture, you'd need to use a relais, which can be connected to the S&L BoB.
If want to avoid this extra work, the EVG-AP-2F-HIC is the better choice in my opinion.
---
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

MatthiasF

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what GHL support wrote. Maybe he was just mis-informed:
Hi,
actually the lowest dimming level is at 1 volt, where the power supply is operating at its minimum level.
To shutdown the fixture, you'd need to use a relais, which can be connected to the S&L BoB.
If want to avoid this extra work, the EVG-AP-2F-HIC is the better choice in my opinion.
---
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

MatthiasF
Interesting. Maybe they’ve added this feature since.

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a dimmable ballast you still power it, and then send a second signal to tell it to dim. Therefore if you set the dim level to 0, the ballast is still being powered when using the breakout box, as the power supply is independent of the breakout box.

The EVG-AP-2F-HIC also manages the power supply to the ballast, so can know when the dimming is set to 0 and cut the power supply to the ballast accordingly.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%

Back