What do I need to work on?

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a pretty large water change on my JBJ 45 gal tank today to get my parameters in check. I changed 50% of the display (not sump) which equals approx 15 gal. Tested for the big 3 plus phosphates because I have been battling algae. Here are my results. What do I need to work on?

7A915606-5A39-46CB-AA81-6740DBDE6F10.png

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to test your magnesium? Before you do anything else, I'd confirm your magnesium result was accurate. Some magnesium test kits in have been known to be inaccurate (e.g. Red Sea).

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use to test your magnesium? Before you do anything else, I'd confirm your magnesium result was accurate. Some magnesium test kits in have been known to be inaccurate (e.g. Red Sea).
I used the Red Sea test kit. It's brand new.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on lowering phosphates still and increasing your magnesium to 1300-1400 after you can confirm numbers.

Phosphate might be the cause of your algae issues.

Have you ever tested you new saltwater for magnesium? With a 50% water change I’d except it to be at least 1000.

Also how do your corals look? My hammer was losing color and flesh when my magnesium was at 1100 Raised to 1350 and instantly better color and growing again.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium is low and salt level is low. Get your salinity to 1.027 and magnesium over 1k minimum
My salinity was just at 1.023 as of yesterday morning. I brought it up to 1.025 with the water change.
Still trying to figure out the magnesium issue.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would focus on lowering phosphates still and increasing your magnesium to 1300-1400 after you can confirm numbers.

Phosphate might be the cause of your algae issues.

Have you ever tested you new saltwater for magnesium? With a 50% water change I’d except it to be at least 1000.

Also how do your corals look? My hammer was losing color and flesh when my magnesium was at 1100 Raised to 1350 and instantly better color and growing again.
I have been running rowaphos in my tank for the phosphates. Put it in on May 28th. I'm not sure how to tell when to replace it.
I have been making some improvement with the algae. When I started it was at .1. I also replenished my CUC which is helping to keep it under control.

I haven't tested the water for magnesium before doing a water change. I get all my water from WWC and haven't had any issues in the past.

As far as corals go. I am a novice at keeping corals. I have managed to kill almost everything I touch. So all I have in the tank now is a Pandora paly and a Duncan. Duncan can use more color in my opinion and Pandora paly is not looking great either.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's most likely your test kit. Look up red sea magnesium- many find their test kits give an error. I wouldn't raise your magnesium until you get a better test- you can take the water toa LFS for them to confirm my suspicions or buy a salifert as a backup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back