What do you consider Stability?

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my tank running for more than 2 years and I Have had success with LPS corals without an issues. I would like to progress in SPS like some Acros and Stylos. I am willing to buy some cheap pieces first to see any success. But, my question is what do you consider stability for SPS?

Example A:
Having ALK at 8.5 and constantly holding that number. Making sure everyday your number stays on that exact number.

Example B:
Having ALK at 8.5 and having it go down maybe to 8.0. But, constantly holding the numbers between 8.5-8.0.

OP
OP
Miguel Negron

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small fluctiations(.5) shouldn't be an issue with those types of peices. You get into some of the more harder to keep SPS, a .5 swing could cause issues.
Thanks for the response! I will do my research on the different types of Acros. Honestly, I didn’t even know their were multiple Acros. I only thought it was one species

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less the swing the better but .5 dkh daily drop is not bad.
This holds true for each and every parameter including lighting.
EAC1B49A-1F26-41EA-B9CE-A281E9E6BF5A.jpeg

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing some good success with my first SPS with my levels ranging from anywhere from 8.8 to 9.1 throughout the day. Thankfully my Alkatronic takes care of it all for me.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are going to get swings no matter what. If you get a automated tester you will see them, different times of the day the corals use different amounts. You want as little as possible though.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are going to get swings no matter what. If you get a automated tester you will see them, different times of the day the corals use different amounts. You want as little as possible though.
Agreed.

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch your corals. Should be open and not retracting. If they’re not happy don’t wait too long to move them. Flow, light key. Don’t buy $$$ Acro. Try setosa, stylophora, montiporas. My three year old 90g will not grow acros or milis. I’ve bought many hundred dollar packages of easy grow acros. I’ll look at the amazing tanks on R2R

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 biggest issues ppl usually have with progressing from lps to sps:

1. The amount of trace element consumption. I.e. lps generally do not consume as much calcium as sps. Therefore, keeping the trace element up becomes a new factor when wc alone won't suffice.

2. Nutrient levels. Lps can tolerate more nutrient heavier parameters than sps. If you are considering a mixed reef, this is something to consider. Things like zoas, paly, mushrooms prefer a little "dirtier" water. Whereas, that make stunt or even harm an sps.

Don't chase numbers. Stability is staying close to natural ocean and keeping all your livestock happy.

Good luck!

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesnt seem to matter at all. I move corals varying from SPS to shrooms around my tanks all day long. The tanks range from 7dkh to 11dkh and the coral will open within seconds of being put in the new tank no acclimation. Temperature and Salinity are all the same or very close in my tanks.

Often I will grab a coral and move a coral to a different tank with better lighting just for a quick photo then move it back not even the slightest problems.

I believe the entire myth of tight alkalinity control being important is driven by tank crashes from sudden alkalinity changes but that actually has nothing to do with the alkalinity itself. It is the pH spike that kills everything.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is a buffer. It is the amount of acid needed to fluctuate ph. If your alk is too low, a smaller amount of acid will swing your ph more adversely. So if you worry about ph, you should really give yourself more time to adjust by keeping alk stable too.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability equals lack of stress on livestock and faster growth. But not easily attained in a glass box.

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but alk 7 to alk 11 as spidercrab stated is a huge fluctuation.

Yup and I also have a nano tank that I do a complete 100% water change every 2 weeks on. It is packed with coral. The alkalinity of my salt mix is 11 and the tank drops down to around 6-7 by the end of the 2 weeks. After the water change all of the coral in the tank are open within 1 minute. That tank has been running for 5 years now with SPS growing all the way to the surface. Again here I just match the temperature and the salinity perfectly.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup and I also have a nano tank that I do a complete 100% water change every 2 weeks on. It is packed with coral. The alkalinity of my salt mix is 11 and the tank drops down to around 6-7 by the end of the 2 weeks. After the water change all of the coral in the tank are open within 1 minute. That tank has been running for 5 years now with SPS growing all the way to the surface. Again here I just match the temperature and the salinity perfectly.
You, sir, are a rebel. Lol

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That sounds awesome! Would you please post a pic of it?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back