What do you do when you can no longer dip corals?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my first year with my tank I have had a few times where I needed to dip a coral in say iodine, coral-Rex, etc. This has helped in some situations save a coral. So today I was looking at my tank and looking at some of the corals on my rockwork and I got to thinking if something went wrong there’s no way I can dip them anymore.

So if you encounter a situation like that what do you do?

John

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my first year with my tank I have had a few times where I needed to dip a coral in say iodine, coral-Rex, etc. This has helped in some situations save a coral. So today I was looking at my tank and looking at some of the corals on my rockwork and I got to thinking if something went wrong there’s no way I can dip them anymore.

So if you encounter a situation like that what do you do?

John

Are you seeing any pests on the corals?

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, let me be clear. Right now I have zero issues with anything in the tank. I’m just trying to learn about this before it happens because in all likelihood it will happen down the road. Say I run into some rtn or stn and want to dip to try and stop further tissue from dying.

erky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example I have a colony of about 80 Sunny D zoas on my very bottom large rock. I don’t see how I would dip those anymore.
just dip and qt your new corals. That way you wont have to dip old stuff if you dont add pests into the tank.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow a good quarantine and dip plan of all new additions, your current corals should not need to be dipped.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have never dipped any coral ive ever bought, farmed or owned so I see it as a non issue. I would never dip a coral in any of the common dips... we regenerate challenge corals using spot feeding and high water change / high energy systems just as an alternate means to traditional dipping.

OP
OP
John3

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’m not really worried about pests. I was more worried about disease/infections and the possibility of saving a coral with say an iodine dip. Some people use things like Revive as well.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most if the time if your following a qt. Issues with current live stock are:
Need more flow, common in stony corals, as they grow lower parts dont get enough.

Water chemistry issue, toxin added, nutrients out of whack etc.

Not enough light, ie your monti is now shading your zoas.

Each has its own solution that dont need to dip :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a good example going on in my tank right now. most of the corals have been in there years and have cast off their hitchhikers/been guided out over time for a pretty clean slate as of now. I bought this acro colony and put it in my tank and its receding from the base up about halfway, might lose it. Not a dip candidate, its my tank causing it because my system is treated rather harshly and the others have simply adapted. my feeding consists of freezer burned cyclopeeze prob a year past expiration, that anything accepts it is amazing to me and I don't want to waste the bar.

im only feeding about once a month which is really restricted due to how much time I spend away, and not really wanting to work on the tank. its in cruise control mode, but it adapted to that vs being started that way. This new coral cant cut it. there's no disease or anything at stake.

I think this type of acro needed better/diverse feeding, some roids might have saved it but the tank continues as it is. 99% just fine, Ill know not to try that strain again till im ready to up ante.

I don't even think my current sps which is red monti cap growing crazy eats the burned cyclopeeze...im guessing the N and P it still attains from the reduced food and the pods the food does feed/end up getting eaten somehow. I think im feeding a food web more than corals directly.

I really should order some roti pods that stuff is awesome.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a good example going on in my tank right now. most of the corals have been in there years and have cast off their hitchhikers/been guided out over time for a pretty clean slate as of now. I bought this acro colony and put it in my tank and its receding from the base up about halfway, might lose it. Not a dip candidate, its my tank causing it because my system is treated rather harshly and the others have simply adapted. my feeding consists of freezer burned cyclopeeze prob a year past expiration, that anything accepts it is amazing to me and I don't want to waste the bar.

im only feeding about once a month which is really restricted due to how much time I spend away, and not really wanting to work on the tank. its in cruise control mode, but it adapted to that vs being started that way. This new coral cant cut it. there's no disease or anything at stake.

I think this type of acro needed better/diverse feeding, some roids might have saved it but the tank continues as it is. 99% just fine, Ill know not to try that strain again till im ready to up ante.

I don't even think my current sps which is red monti cap growing crazy eats the burned cyclopeeze...im guessing the N and P it still attains from the reduced food and the pods the food does feed/end up getting eaten somehow. I think im feeding a food web more than corals directly.

I really should order some roti pods that stuff is awesome.

If I posted on a dog forum that I was feeding my pets inferior/expired dog food, imagine the responses. I never feed corals - so maybe I dont understand the problem - but Maybe its time to spend $20 and just buy new food.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it would help the new acro

the system that's adapted to the aging cyclopeeze does fine. Only making the point that with good feeding and good flow/exchange my colony could be regenerated. Roti pods should do the trick. I think dipping this colony would've stressed it more so in nearly all cases at least in nano reefing good feed and flow is how we save/regen

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of zoas, it seems no matter how diligent i am, I at some point need to dip them. either got pest that got by, not everybody can or does quarantine, because of some eggs that hatched after the initial dip at introduction, or it's got something that would benefit from Furan 2, like zoa pox. or a iodine dip for a baeteria infection. anyway, after I got it glued to the rock work, there was no way to do it and I would lose whole sections, or whole gardens as it were. Now, before I start a garden, I put down flat base rock that I can spot glue in place and then glue the zoas to that. I even made some flat plastic pieces from that Reef Welder stuff that you put in hot water and then mold like plastic. Then if they start having issues, I take the whole piece out and dip them that way. it works great because I can dip the whole thing at one time and then put it right back. I hope this helps.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.3%
Back