What do you do?

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when you get a new package?

I usually have the camera ready just in case to document any DOA's or to document my new pieces. I then start acclimating the new corals to temperature by bag floating for 30 minutes to an hour. Next, I get out my white rubbermaid and start cutting open the bags. After a close inspection, I usually add my dipping agent of choice at this point.

Once the dip is over I place the corals in the QT tank and this is when I contact the shipper. It just may be me, but the shipper always likes to hear for you as soon as you can ;)

Last edited:

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do when you get a new package?

I usually have the camera ready just in case to document any DOA's or to document my new pieces. I then start acclimating the new corals to temperature by bag floating for 30 minutes to an hour. Next, I get out my white rubbermaid and start cutting open the bags. After a close inspection, I usually add my dipping agent of choice at this point.

Once the dip is over I place the corals in the QT tank and this is when I contact the shipper. It just may be me, but the shipper always likes to hear for you as soon as you can ;)

I do the exact same, but I only use revive.

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris? Do you contact the sender as soon as you can as well to let them know either way?

underwaterfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it very important to dip corals when you recieve them? I usually do a temp acclimation followed by drip acclimation then place thm in the tank.
I also photo document as well.

Dave

OP
OP
mpoletti

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping corals is a must IMO. If not, You are testing fate and your tanks long term success as there are many different parasites that can cause damage to your corals.

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Chris? Do you contact the sender as soon as you can as well to let them know either way?

Depends on my day. Sometimes I am on a break from work so i have to get in and get out. If everything is ok I usually send a message when I get a chance. If something is wrong i send pics and a message immediately.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do pretty much the same as Mark, minus the levamisol...

I get a little bugged out until I hear from the recipient though if I don't hear from them, I figure all is well, other wise I know they'd contact me to inform of any problems during transit.

If its a vendor, Im 50/50. I figure they're shipping out so much stuff, they just expect to hear about DOAs. Maybe a vendor will chime in though, I could be wrong...

Reef Empire

I bleed saltwater.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although we love to hear about how happy the recipient is, we use the "no news is good news" motto when we don't hear anything. Most folks only seem to contact us after the fact if there is a problem. But for any problems, we do want to be contacted immediately, and pictures are a must.

Leishman

143gadgets' Mentor
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the exact same, but I only use revive.

Me too. I also try to do a feedback post on the boards, more so if I buy/trade from/with a reefer (over a retail outlet). Feedback is a huge tool to aid in buying or trading with a hobiest you have never met.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they arrive, I float the bags right away for about an hour and let the seller know the box arrived and they are temperature acclimating currently and I will let them know if there are any issues. After about an hour then I water acclimate the frags and then do the appropriate dips ... TMPCC or Revive and then place them in the tank.

I then try to leave positive feedback on the boards as well and if I'm really feeling kind, I might take a crappy photo ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back