What Do You Need 3d Designed & Printed (YouTube Channel)

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I started a thread about designing some 3d models for R2R members (Christmas Thread Link). I ended up designing 6 projects and really enjoyed them. I decided to convert the Christmas thread into this one and keep the offer open to the Reef2reef community. Here is the Plan...

Once a week I am going to make something suggested by the Reef2Reef members in this thread. I am going to record the drawing, designing, printing, testing, and implementation of the design. After each project is completed (success or failure) I am going to make the designs available on Thingiverse and post a YouTube video. ( ISeaLive channel - Just Started)

My goals... First, I would like to challenge myself to think outside the box, get better at designing and creating awesome things. 2nd, I would like the community to hold me accountable because I am notorious for not finishing projects. I always get bored and move on to something else when the last project is 95% complete. Last, I would like to create a library of informative content and designs that can be used to help inspire other reefers to make awesome things.

If you end up using any of my designs please post pictures and videos in this thread. I will be using the pictures/videos you post in the videos that I make and post on Youtube.

Here are some of the projects that I created in the Christmas Thread.

Nero 3 anemone guard for @Matt Miller
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4695451
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.38.58 PM.png

Camera mount for @TankCandy
Not available on Thingiverse yet because the design needs revision.
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.02.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.03.40 PM.png

25 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer Holder for @dumpysauce
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4700825

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.58.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.57.08 PM.png

Jegar heater holder for @Bepis
Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.57.08 PM.png

Tunze nano controller holder & power strip cover for @Bepis

1874552-bf2eb835ab70a89f5b47e0f3d09268db.png

EcoTech Marine MP10 wet side cover mod for myself.
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4709077
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.21.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.21.37 PM.png

Motorized light cable real for @kenchilada
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708754
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 1.25.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 1.26.27 PM.png

I will start posting some videos later this month of the things created above.

What should I make next? Please post what you would like to see me make. It will help a ton if you include drawings, dimensions, and pictures. Before starting a design I have to have a full understanding of what I am creating and the objectives that it has to accomplish.

Happy Reefing,

ISeaLive

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

I started a thread about designing some 3d models for R2R members (Christmas Thread Link). I ended up designing 6 projects and really enjoyed them. I decided to convert the Christmas thread into this one and keep the offer open to the Reef2reef community. Here is the Plan...

Once a week I am going to make something suggested by the Reef2Reef members in this thread. I am going to record the drawing, designing, printing, testing, and implementation of the design. After each project is completed (success or failure) I am going to make the designs available on Thingiverse and post a YouTube video. ( ISeaLive channel - Just Started)

My goals... First, I would like to challenge myself to think outside the box, get better at designing and creating awesome things. 2nd, I would like the community to hold me accountable because I am notorious for not finishing projects. I always get bored and move on to something else when the last project is 95% complete. Last, I would like to create a library of informative content and designs that can be used to help inspire other reefers to make awesome things.

If you end up using any of my designs please post pictures and videos in this thread. I will be using the pictures/videos you post in the videos that I make and post on Youtube.

Here are some of the projects that I created in the Christmas Thread.

Nero 3 anemone guard for @Matt Miller
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4695451
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 4.38.58 PM.png

Camera mount for @TankCandy
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.02.32 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 3.03.40 PM.png

25 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer Holder for @dumpysauce
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4700825

Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.58.22 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at 7.57.08 PM.png

Jegar heater holder for @Bepis
Screen Shot 2020-12-26 at 11.57.08 PM.png

Tunze nano controller holder & power strip cover for @Bepis

1874552-bf2eb835ab70a89f5b47e0f3d09268db.png

EcoTech Marine MP10 wet side cover mod for myself.
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4709077
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.21.11 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.21.37 PM.png

Motorized light cable real for @kenchilada
Thingiverse Link https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4708754
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 1.25.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 1.26.27 PM.png

I will start posting some videos later this month of the things created above.

What should I make next? Please post what you would like to see me make. It will help a ton if you include drawings, dimensions, and pictures. Before starting a design I have to have a full understanding of what I am creating and the objectives that it has to accomplish.

Happy Reefing,

ISeaLive
Fantastic... your doing the community a great favor

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just became your first YouTube subscriber.
Haha, this is great. I don't have a lot of experience making videos and your helping motivate me to start something. It has been a long time since I used Premiere Pro. I am going to have to take a refresher course.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lot of experience making videos and your helping motivate me to start something.
I would gladly do anything to encourage anyone to help improve the reefing and 3d printing communities by doing what you're doing. I'm serious that without people releasing their .stl files my 3d printer would be worthless to me.
For the videos for something like this it's more about content than quality in my opinion, but if you stick with it your ability to make videos I'm sure will improve.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done any 3d printing but the whole idea seems really interesting. Is there a particular brand/model of 3d printer that most people are using? Any particular plastic or are they all the same?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a particular brand/model of 3d printer that most people are using?
I use the Creality Ender 3 which is a cheap 3d printer that is in my opinion a great option to get into the hobby without spending a lot of money (kinda think of it like using black box leds in the reefing community, it's not the best option but it gets the job done for cheap).

As for the plastic (filament) most people start with pla because it is the easiest to get a successful print with, but the prints do not have a lot of mechanical strength, also for an aquarium if you print something to go into the water pla will degrade over time. If you are printing something for the aquarium petg filament is the best in my opinion. It is the perfect combination of easy to print with and safe for the aquarium.

Last edited:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Creality Ender 3 which is a cheap 3d printer that is in my opinion a great option to get into the hobby without spending a lot of money (kinda think of it like using black box leds in the reefing community, it's not the best option but it gets the job done for cheap).

As for the plastic (filament) most people start with pla because it is the easiest to get a successful print with, but the prints do not have a lot of mechanical strength, also for an aquarium if you print something to go into the water pla will degrade over time. If you are printing something for the aquarium petg filament is the best in my opinion. It is the perfect combination of easy to print with and safe for the aquarium.
After reading this thread I went right to Amazon, this is the printer I saw because it is cheap and highly rated. What changes with better printers? Smoother surface?

Software, the printer comes with what is needed?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading this thread I went right to Amazon, this is the printer I saw because it is cheap and highly rated. What changes with better printers? Smoother surface?
I'm not going to be the best person to answer a lot of 3d printing questions as the only one I've used is my Ender 3, but as for the print surface I actually got a version of the Ender 3 that came with a glass print bed, so I doubt the surface would be much better on a higher end printer. The Ender 3 has kind of a crude way of navigating menus on its dot matrix display (a single wheel that clicks in to enter) and I'm sure nicer printers have a color display probably with a touch screen. I believe many nicer printers can be connected to your WiFi so you can remotely transfer files to it instead of the Ender 3 where you need to insert a micro SD card with the print on it. I believe some high end printers will also be able to auto level the bed whereas on the Ender 3 you have to use a piece of paper as a spacer and adjust knobs on the 4 corners of the print bed to make sure it is level and properly spaced away from the nozzle (sounds hard but it is easy once you get the hang of it).

As for software the most important software that you use will be the slicing program that you use on your computer not the software that is on the printer itself. The slicing program is where you set all of the information that the printer uses to make the file (nozzle temp, bed temp, print speed, etc, etc, etc). This is in my opinion the part of 3d printing that becomes complicated and confusing because there are tons of different options and they change what need to be set based on what you're printing, what printer you use, and what filament you use. I get to where I find settings that work for me and I try to leave them alone.

Please keep in mind for everything I just mentioned I am relatively new to the hobby and I'm sure there are way more people on this forum who could answer any question way better than I can.

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done any 3d printing but the whole idea seems really interesting. Is there a particular brand/model of 3d printer that most people are using? Any particular plastic or are they all the same?
These days nearly all of the 3d printers are quality and can create whatever you need. All of my printers are cheap budget machines.
Creality CR-10s (microswiss hotend)
Geeetech A20M
Elegoo Mars (Resin Printer)
MP Mini Delta

ABS is best for anything that is going to be in or near a reef tank. I am pretty sure that egg
Some people have had success with PLA but it is a bioplastic that will degrade in saltwater.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Thanks for doing this.

Tagging along on this thread, and I suscribed to your You tube Channel as well.

I too have and Ender 3 Pro with Glass Bed, and always looking for things to print.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ABS is best for anything that is going to be in or near a reef tank.
I haven't tried printing with ABS yet but I've heard that there can be an issue with layer adhesion if your printer doesn't have an enclosure. Do you know if that is the case? If not my next spool may be ABS.

From everything I've read PETG is completely reef safe as well. ABS is supposed to be better from a structural standpoint, but my printer is open so I didn't try it.

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Software, the printer comes with what is needed?
There are 2 primary 3d printer types. FDM (Filament) and Resin Printers. Resin printers are extremely good at creating high-resolution models with nearly invisible layer lines but they have many drawbacks. They are expensive compared to FDM printers and have a much smaller build volume. The resin is also much more expensive compared to the filament. Last, the printer resins are loaded with chemicals, toxic and messy. I would not trust most resins near saltwater.

FDM printers mostly come with a .4mm nozzle and can create quality models with a .1mm layer height. If the printer is sturdy, straight, and has a level bed it has the ability to print well. As the price goes up, FDM printers tend to get sturdier, more precise, and bigger. They will also have better extruders and heated beds that can reach higher temperatures and support more exotic composite filaments. As the price goes up on the printer so does its reliability as they tend to break down less with the better hardware. Last, when the more expensive printers break down they usually have better support resources for troubleshooting and fixing.

Cura by Ultimaker is a solid slicing software that supports nearly every major 3d printer brand. It is easy to set up your printer and get slicing. Once you getting the hang of Cura you can really dial in your print quality with some of the advanced print settings.

OP
OP
ocpondpoacher

ocpondpoacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried printing with ABS yet but I've heard that there can be an issue with layer adhesion if your printer doesn't have an enclosure. Do you know if that is the case? If not my next spool may be ABS.

From everything I've read PETG is completely reef safe as well. ABS is supposed to be better from a structural standpoint, but my printer is open so I didn't try it.
You will need an enclosure with ABS. I built an enclosure out of insolation foam from HomeDepot. It is also important that your printer has a strong heated bed. I like printing with my bed at 100c. Bed adhesion is extremely important with ABS. I will always print with an 8mm brim and use some type of bed adhesive like Magigoo. Large prints have a much higher chance of warping so I tend to cut them up into multiple prints and solvent weld everything together with an Acetone/ABS slurry.

The one major thing to consider with PETG. If your printer does not have an all-metal hot-end the PETG can melt the PTFE tubing that is inside the extruder. This happened to my Cr-10s and I had to replace the factory hot-end with an all-metal hot-end. My printer was down for a week while waited for the replacement parts.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Problem. I don't have a ton of time to sculpt it from scratch but I can modify an existing Thingiverse model. Something like this?
Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 9.55.05 PM.png
Yes thats perfect!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back