What do you use for AWCs?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll go with the GHL but definitely the same system. Which thanks to d2mini I have a lot more confidence doing

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. I am going to use optic sensors to monitor the water level so the input/output will be accurate.

As much of that's a good ideal I cannot come up w to many to use, let me try and explain, if for some chance you got two identical pumps that pump identical they are still two separate pumps that will not turn on at the same time every time, even on same circuit, just saying it's bad ideal, there is a real reason these types of systems use a single motor to drive two identical pumps, not just pumps but tubes, parasitic pump tubes are the best way now for acurate means of dosesing, just like in hospitals..

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Spectrapure Litermeter system. It uses a Peristaltic Metering Pump. This thing will lift water 25+ feet and over 60+ feet of distance. Once you have all your tubing in place, you run the calibration mode for each pump and then you set how much water you want to exchange in a day. I've had my unit for 2 years now. I calibrate 1-2x/year. I just opened my pumps and cleaned them. In 2 years time of 1.5 gallons per day the one had a small amount of buildup on the rollers, the other one looked brand new. The tubing is in great shape and I live in AZ where the humidity is very low. It is not inexpensive, but well worth the money. My salinity level stays rock solid.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even my sterner single motor duel drive has it's times where it's off, usually don't see it until it's there, small amounts easy to adjust for, you will fight that every other day.. the idea is set and forget, I also don't like the 100x a day regimens, it so leeds to failure and chasing numbers, if you ever owned a awc for over a few years all this 100x change junk is out the window, get a atwc with anything but a industrial pump will be short lived and off..period...
My stenner also removes a little more water than it replaces. tested many times before using. My problem is that the water being removed is straight out of DT, and the water going in comes from the storage container. They are at different heights so I think that is the reason. I accommodate that with a little higher salinity in my stored water. I test salinity in DT weekly or bi-weekly, and it is rarely ever off. I also have the ability to change 50 gallons a day with the pump. I run mine all at once also, and I have my ATO off during this time.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding mine has been in service 11 months, and I have never touched it. I replaced the tubes when I was testing thinking the tubes may be causing my problem, but until I had the head height the same on both ends it was a little off. I store 60 gallons, and it last me 30 days so I only mix water once a month unless I change more than 2 gallons a day.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and it can do more. :)
Has to be the 2.1 with the blue heads. They are heavier duty. And still plastic rollers, so you would need to plan on having some maintenance kits on hand when they eventually wear out.
Should last quite a while though.
Interesting.
Any idea what distance these can pump? My water station is about 15m away from my display tank.
So 1 pump head would need to over come this as a pressure, the other as a vacuum.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it interesting some say dosing pumps aren't any good as you will never change the same amount but if both dosing pumps are calibrated properly the amount should be very minimal otherwise how on earth do people trust dosing additives to there systems in general with these? And on top of that the solution is a dual head single motor but those aren't trustworthy either if the tube lengths aren't exactly the same than what's the difference?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for me I'm not looking for a high volume pump as I have a rather small system so I guess it really depends on one's particular needs in the end.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting.
Any idea what distance these can pump? My water station is about 15m away from my display tank.
So 1 pump head would need to over come this as a pressure, the other as a vacuum.

I'm not sure how far, the specs are probably on their website. But I'm pumping like 30 feet right now and probably 10 ft of head.
Forward or backward pumping... it's all the same.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that does make some what a difference, for instance in my system 3% is 2.5 hour run time, 250 gallon system give or take, imo awc, is far infererior than same amount changed at once, so this is supposed to be easier way of changing water, so our pump should give piece of mind, the larger pumps do all those, less on and off times, single motor, paired tubes, I can go on, it seems those that never had a awc, seem to know something the awc users hav not been threw, the only method I like over stenner or equivalent pump, is a flood drain type awc, I can list the down flaws of this pump, top of list is noisy, that's really it..please understand when i said sometimes it's off, that's a gallon out of 200, over 2 month's, no problem, I could make it dead nuts, but why, it supposed to make my life easier..

If I had a 250+ gallon system Id definitely be going the stenner route don't get me wrong, but for a 50 gallon, I think the Doser should be able to handle that no problem. And definitely not knocking your experience with AWC by any means, I've got a blank slate in that regards I just feel the Doser, even being off assuming I didn't calibrate it can't be much more off than your 0.5% or so you get from the stenner. Once again just my thoughts... D2 seems more than happy with his Doser set up even on his 120 and mines not even close to that.

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune DOS for AWC on my 420 gallon system. I set it for 6 gallons a day for 7 days, exactly a 10% water change per week. Works great. It’s a bit loud for sure but doesn’t bother me. My kids being as loud as they are actually bothers me more. :)

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it runs all day,for most part, or like 8 hours?

I think it goes on every 30 minutes for like 10 minutes or something like that. Can’t remember. It’s been running so long. The only time I ever touch it is when my 160 gallons container in my garage is empty. I shut them off for about a day to let the new salt water mix and then flip it back to Auto. Minimal effort. Very happy with it. My wife is happy about it too. No longer a slave to the Saturday morning cleaning. Ugh. 2-3 hours. That sucked royally. Made the hobby a drag on everyone around me.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree if I went with a doser type set up it would run solid once a day, it doesn't take long with turning off and on over and over to wear relays and pumps out. It is interesting to see how many actually do use the dosing pumps on larger systems for there AWC. And no offense taken by me atleast, this is exactly the kind of discussion I was hoping for hearing both sides thoughts on the subject.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Kenneth Wolfe, would you share some more information about that FLUID metering pump?
Do you have any specifications and idea if there is a possibility to have back flow due to syphon (non return valves)?
I like to see if this can be used in my application.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok, I'm not using it pm me your address I'll send it to ya, looks like it needs a stepper motor driver, not sure I never used it, but feel work great on small setup, those lines are tiny might upscale them
Oh. I understood that you were using them and might have more info.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is using a dos for their water change, you can add a couple one way valves to have all the water change take up only one head instead of two. This is because the Dos can run in both directions. When it pulls it can pull from your salt water storage, and when it pushes it can push to your drain pipe.

4c08be0137d4453c52184def47dbf164.jpg

The tube going to the right, in the middle is going to the Dos. This can free up a head to dose whatever else you have going on. Only draw back is more wear and tear on the head.

Like I said in my earlier post, I used dos for awhile, but it was too noisy for my living room. Switched to a two channel head on a masterflex:

67a3df00edd455a6e282d754bcb954bd.jpg

Back