What do you use for sealing threaded fittings?

What do you use on threaded fittings?

  • Teflon Tape

    Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Silicone Sealant

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Paste (which one?)

    Votes: 3 9.7%
  • other ?

    Votes: 1 3.2%

  • Total voters
    31
Will this stuff work on PVC to ABS? I was told it will not bond, that was why mine leaked. Was told to use the green stuff for ABS to PVC called transition cement, PVC pipe into ABS bulkhead.
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed
 
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I may be wrong, as long as it it reef safe it should work okay. I have never tried it so I should not have said that. Sorry, just something I would not try unless you know for sure.
 
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed
This is what I was told to use. Glad you have no trouble with yours, it may have been the way I installed mine that caused the leak.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 92
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I use silicone. I also use all of these in situations. Never used the paste for aquarium use. Only times I would not use silicone is if you have a joint that has stress on it, or a spot that gets water hammer effect.
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new