What do you use for sealing threaded fittings?

What do you use on threaded fittings?

• Teflon Tape

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Silicone Sealant

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Paste (which one?)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • other ?

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this stuff work on PVC to ABS? I was told it will not bond, that was why mine leaked. Was told to use the green stuff for ABS to PVC called transition cement, PVC pipe into ABS bulkhead.
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I may be wrong, as long as it it reef safe it should work okay. I have never tried it so I should not have said that. Sorry, just something I would not try unless you know for sure.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed
This is what I was told to use. Glad you have no trouble with yours, it may have been the way I installed mine that caused the leak.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 45

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I use silicone. I also use all of these in situations. Never used the paste for aquarium use. Only times I would not use silicone is if you have a joint that has stress on it, or a spot that gets water hammer effect.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. really surprised to see all the Teflon Tape responses.

for some reason I can't find the video I watched before but I did find this thread with many recommending silicone

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow. really surprised to see all the Teflon Tape responses.

for some reason I can't find the video I watched before but I did find this thread with many recommending silicone

This is probably what you were looking for, guy has more experience than many on this forum combined.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back