What do you use for sealing threaded fittings?

What do you use on threaded fittings?

• Teflon Tape

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • Silicone Sealant

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Paste (which one?)

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • other ?

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this stuff work on PVC to ABS? I was told it will not bond, that was why mine leaked. Was told to use the green stuff for ABS to PVC called transition cement, PVC pipe into ABS bulkhead.
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I may be wrong, as long as it it reef safe it should work okay. I have never tried it so I should not have said that. Sorry, just something I would not try unless you know for sure.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it on my water change station 2 years now. fingers crossed
This is what I was told to use. Glad you have no trouble with yours, it may have been the way I installed mine that caused the leak.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-30 at 00-04-50 Oatey 4-fl oz PVC ABS Transition Cement Lowes com.png
    190.3 KB · Views: 59

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you explain why not? the video I saw (wish I could find it) was from an experienced reefer who uses it for all threaded fittings and said you can disassemble it and just brush away the chunks and re-use if needed. I have thought about it and can't see a reason why it shouldn't work
I use silicone. I also use all of these in situations. Never used the paste for aquarium use. Only times I would not use silicone is if you have a joint that has stress on it, or a spot that gets water hammer effect.

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. really surprised to see all the Teflon Tape responses.

for some reason I can't find the video I watched before but I did find this thread with many recommending silicone

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Wow. really surprised to see all the Teflon Tape responses.

for some reason I can't find the video I watched before but I did find this thread with many recommending silicone

This is probably what you were looking for, guy has more experience than many on this forum combined.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 109 47.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back