Sealing threaded PVC

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it safe to use plumbers putty to seal threaded connections on PVC?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want plumber's putty....you want pipe joint compound for PVC. If you're only doing a couple joints, get the stuff in the tube....the can is a bit costly...8 - 10 bucks.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest threaded PVC tape, just lay it on your threads and then give it a few turns. Whatever you use it on will basically be glued though, its not coming apart

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the use of Silicone over any other method. GE1 from home depot or any other 100% silicone with no mold inhibitors. Teflon tape has been known to break schedule 40 bulkheads if used improperly.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to use silicone? The idea of using threaded is so it comes apart easily. If you apply silicone it certainly won't be easy to remove.

Teflon paste on PVC threads. Teflon tape will add bulk and allow you to over tighten the fitting and possibly crack it. Hand tight is all threaded PVC needs to be to give a good seal. Anythign over hand tight will more then likely crack or split the fitting.

Plumbers putty is whats used under the drains in sinks to seal the drain to the bowl. it is not meant to be used as a thread sealant.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone it is...

Valid point: the idea of using threaded is to be able to disassemble. But I think it is more important to be leak free.

Mako61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the teflon pipe dope. Basically the same as tape, I just find it easier. All it does is provide lubrication. It does not provide a seal same with teflon tape. It allows you to tighten the threads without the PVC sticking.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to use silicone? The idea of using threaded is so it comes apart easily. If you apply silicone it certainly won't be easy to remove.

Teflon paste on PVC threads. Teflon tape will add bulk and allow you to over tighten the fitting and possibly crack it. Hand tight is all threaded PVC needs to be to give a good seal. Anythign over hand tight will more then likely crack or split the fitting.

Plumbers putty is whats used under the drains in sinks to seal the drain to the bowl. it is not meant to be used as a thread sealant.
In cases where silicon has been used to seal the threaded joint, unscrewing said joint is easy peasy. The silicon itself is easy to remove from the fitting, before reapplication and installation.

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use silicone on threaded pvc you will easily be able to disassemble it later. Silicone does not bond very well to pvc but it will seal it with no problem. After you disassemble it just take a wire brush and brush it off. I use silicone on all my threaded fitting and have for a while now with no issues.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you use anything besides the product designed specifically for the job? Oatley great white pipe joint compound is made for the purpose and recommended by PVC manufacturers for threaded connections.
I use silicone, because I think it is easier to work with and find it to work well. Pipe compound also works, as does teflon tape.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumber's putty is for sink basins or shower drains at the pan, it's basically a moldable gasket. It's not intended at all for threaded connections. For threaded pvc id just stick with teflon tape, you don't have to worry about excess pipe compound mixing with the tank water.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170626_162949.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back