Sealing threaded PVC

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon is the way to go. You get a tight seal and you can take everything apart easily and clean. Only downside is you need to wait for 12-24 hours before using it.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon is the way to go. You get a tight seal and you can take everything apart easily and clean. Only downside is you need to wait for 12-24 hours before using it.
You get all that with the proper paste, plus you don’t have to wait and you don’t have to take it apart and reseal it, if at some point you adjust the connection for some reason.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for silicone if it’s a pipe thread seal. I tried to do things the “right way” with my big 2” Neptune flow sensor and it leaked with copious amounts of Rectorseal 5 or Plastistik. I cleaned it up, put silicone on and it sealed the first attempt with silicone.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you want to use silicone? The idea of using threaded is so it comes apart easily. If you apply silicone it certainly won't be easy to remove.

Teflon paste on PVC threads. Teflon tape will add bulk and allow you to over tighten the fitting and possibly crack it. Hand tight is all threaded PVC needs to be to give a good seal. Anythign over hand tight will more then likely crack or split the fitting.

Plumbers putty is whats used under the drains in sinks to seal the drain to the bowl. it is not meant to be used as a thread sealant.

It actually is no more difficult then teflon tape. Is known to be aquarium safe and does not apply pressure like teflon tape does when overused threading pvc into schedule 40 bulkheads which have been known to split as a result. 3 reasons that I use it. You may choose to go with plumbers putty which is often used on brass ring sink drains. Also notice there is no brass copper or steel used in salt water aquariums because they have also proven not to be reef safe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back