What do you value more size of frag or coloration?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, size.

color is dependent to a certain extent on lighting so I’m fine with some color variation.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When you are selling a frag of any coral, you expect the proper colors, so for me it would have to be size.
I absolutely will not buy a single polyp, or booger sized frag.

In some cases when the color is exceptional, I guess the term "ultra" comes into play, but that has to be balanced with the lighting over the coral and camera/editing skills.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size, color is dependent on lighting and most vendors present unrealistic color expectations anyway. I'd rather have a nice chunky frag that has a better chance than a booger

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
size... unless i have the same lighting setup as the person i am buying from it wont be worth it to solely buy something due to its color.. is it still a factor? yes. i am a sucker for those colors.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely size. Speaking of Acros a larger frag has a much higher success rate while as others have stated, colours really are tank specific.
But for coral sellers it’s a lot easier to photoshop colour than size. ;)

Joe462

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Color, but if its small it better be priced appropriately.

if it doesn't look healthy (and color is part of that to me) im not going to buy it period, regardless of how big it is. But if its a small frag it needs to be cheap (for what it is, 100$ instead of 200$ or whatever)

so obviously its a combination of both to some extent, but i don't mind buying small colorful, healthy frags if its going to save me some money, i'm pretty confident i can grow it into a colony eventually and I'm pretty patient. but if i buy a big dull chunk and it dies, i have nothing, so i certainly didn't save any money or get a very good value.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re talking about one specific piece (ie. Walt Disney acro) then size. I don’t care if it’s dull as long as it’s a WD. If you’re talking about just generally shopping then it’s more about color. I don’t want to buy a bunch of blah coral hoping it morphs into something colorful

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color for me if it’s from an aquaculture source as while color does vary, for the longer term cultured coral we have a pretty good idea of what they will do. These days I only get cultured coral. You also know growth form which can be important. Now of course if it’s a well know variety then size as you already know what colors are possible.

if getting a wild or mari then size because you have no idea what they will do color and growth form.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would be all about size once I started but quickly found out color is of much more value to me personally. Granted I run a smaller tank so real estate is at a premium.
This could be my exact quote. When looking into a small tank, small frags are fine. In a 50 gallon tank it would be different.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size matters! I'm getting ... well... not young. I don't have as much time to wait for tiny nubs of SPS corals or a single Zoa to become a satisfactory colony. Bigger frags and small colonies grow into large colonies much more quickly. Color can be cultivated as the colony grows. IMO, it's worth the money to buy the largest frags or mini-colonies possible and possibly sacrifice some initial color to reduce the initial cost.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely the combo of both.

If a frag is awesome and colorful yet 1/3 the size of the surface of a frag disc.... PASS

if a frag is larger than expected but extremely average in looks for what it is (or should be)....PASS

Much like trying to buy an old Muscle Car as a treat to yourself. If the Muscle Car looks awesome but runs like a crap: PASS. If the Muscle Car runs fantastic but looks like death n regret: PASS

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just depends, I can’t say that I prioritize one over the other.

I do wish that online vendors would put the size of wysiwyg frags/colonies, or at least what size frag plug it’s on. I just recently bought this Japanese leather, and the photo made it look like it was 3-4” tall, when I got it, it was 1/2-3/4” (fully extended). It was $100. Now, it’ll be something pretty special when it grows out, but I couldn’t help but feel a little deceived (and it was from a reputable vendor that I’ve done quite a bit of business with and never had any complaints). If companies put the size of each frag, this kind of confusion would be avoided. There are several vendors that do put the size (corals.com is really good about this), but it should be more common than it is.

OP
OP
Camaro Show Corals

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It just depends, I can’t say that I prioritize one over the other.

I do wish that online vendors would put the size of wysiwyg frags/colonies, or at least what size frag plug it’s on. I just recently bought this Japanese leather, and the photo made it look like it was 3-4” tall, when I got it, it was 1/2-3/4” (fully extended). It was $100. Now, it’ll be something pretty special when it grows out, but I couldn’t help but feel a little deceived (and it was from a reputable vendor that I’ve done quite a bit of business with and never had any complaints). If companies put the size of each frag, this kind of confusion would be avoided. There are several vendors that do put the size (corals.com is really good about this), but it should be more common than it is.
Definitely something to look for. Especially vendors that really zoom in and really do the close up macro shoots.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back