What exactly does activated carbon do?

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use polyfilters or purigen and skimming occasionally. When saturated with organics and nasty stuff polyfiters and purigen change color major plus! U can regenerate purigen with bleach I don t , I replace with the premade bags of 100 mls. Cheap enough IMO off of Amazon. I only use carbon in my Livebearer tanks > Carbon may be cheaper but Theres no way to know if used up . U can do A white bucket test if u want but I been using my method for greater than 7 years with great results and just because the water is clear does not mean there are not Harmful elements in it. So Polyfilters TM NOT FLOSS and purigen work great and my corals and fish seem to look and act naturally so I see no need to Change.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs and angelfish get torn up by carbon. They end up with severe hlle. The studies done weren't exactly sure why. Unless there are newer studies that do know.. From what I read they believe the dust strips out certain minerals these fish need. Or, attaches to the fish and causes injury that way. A lot of it was based on soft carbon however. The rox 0.8 carbon is far safer for tangs and angelfish.
Do you have some references? Conclusions made based on nothing? GAC removes orgnic compounds and those compouds may contain minerals and trace elements. GAC soon will be populated with life, growing on the organic compounds.. Everything is removed when refreshed.
Does GAC strips water from inorganic minerals and trace elements?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon and tangs

And others who also say dust from carbon hurts tangs,

I said before, soft carbon. Rox .8 seems safest
again, its the dust of the carbon doing injuries.

Last edited:

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GAC, skimmers and polymers removing organic compounds! ? GAC and the use of a skimmer are not complemental, they remove the same kind of organic compounds, leaving about the same kind of compounds behind, creating an inbalance. ref: MB CMF De Haes 2017
It is the intention for removing organics before they are reminerelized. One must be aware those compounds contain the building materials for growth, needed for the consumption of amonia and nitrate. For example fish release most nitrogen as inorganic nitrogen, till 85% becomes available . How this inorganic nitrogen can be removed or used up if part of the building materials needed are removed?
How the balance between consumers and producers is maintained?

It is important for keeping healthy corals the DOC level is kept as low as possible. Because measuring DOC availability is difficult, organic compounds are removed without any guideline> How ? By using GAC and a skimmer or by optimizing the remineralisation rate? Having a high remineralization rate all nutrients can be removed in balance by harvesting growth.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a couple days with a carbon sock my fish look like they're floating in air

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back