What fish gets recommended too often?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
31,092
Reaction score
54,589
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As reef keepers, we love sharing with others what fish they should try in their tank. Maybe it is a fish we love in our tank, or one we think would go great with the reefers' current stock. However, is there one fish that gets recommended too much, maybe for the wrong reason? Let's discuss the fish that gets recommended too often!
 
If anyone says clownfish, we're going to have to fight...

Fight Argue GIF by Kiaundra Jackson
 
Royal Gramma... i really held off on getting one. They were not in my original stock list.

Then my sister kept nagging that i need one of those bright purple and yellow fish.. She doesn't even live with me and now has a fish in my tank named Corky.
 
📣
Give me a C ("C")
Give me an L ("L")
Give me an O ("O")
Give me a W ("W")
Give me an N ("N")
Give me an S ("S")
📣
What does it spell?
CLOWNS
 
Other than the affirmation clown Fish. I would agree with the tang statement. While they do clean and are good grazers they are very territorial, and can be bullies!
 
Other than the affirmation clown Fish. I would agree with the tang statement. While they do clean and are good grazers they are very territorial, and can be bullies!
I think most of this is from lack of space.... or trying to have a purple :o, which I want so very badly, but just can't take the risk.
 
Hippo tangs they become ****’s when large
Yeah, I have heard this before that hippo tangs can be... interesting at times
 
At most lfs it seems to be tangs. I cant understand how people end up with tangs in a 30 gallon constantly.
When you have a new person who just got into the hobby, doesn't know much about fish keeping, but sees a tang in this small holding tank. Yeah, it can be enticing to want one for your nano tank because "the LFS store did it."
 
Sand sifting gobies such as Valenciennea sp. and Amblygobius sp. Too often recommended to "keep the sand clean". That behavior of scooping mouthfuls of sand and filtering it is in search of microfauna to eat. Its not filtering out detritus, algae, etc. If these dont jump from tanks, they routinely starve to death. I classify them like mandarins, that you need a really healthy established tank with a large diverse sandbed to sustain them, unless they convert to prepared foods. Unfortnately, too many people just see them as a sand stirring tool.
 
Sand sifting gobies such as Valenciennea sp. and Amblygobius sp. Too often recommended to "keep the sand clean". That behavior of scooping mouthfuls of sand and filtering it is in search of microfauna to eat. Its not filtering out detritus, algae, etc. If these dont jump from tanks, they routinely starve to death. I classify them like mandarins, that you need a really healthy established tank with a large diverse sandbed to sustain them, unless they convert to prepared foods. Unfortnately, too many people just see them as a sand stirring tool.
I had this opinion too - but that was before I got one in a deal that encapsulated this fish with fish I really wanted. At first it behaved as I expected and showed a sunken belly - suddenly he/she began to act as our indoor cat - always begging for food. It is a fish from the Amblygobius family - not sure of the exact species though. These two photos show a wonderful fish with a belly that matches its owner 🤣

goby1.jpg


goby2.jpg

​
Sincerely Lasse
 
I had this opinion too - but that was before I got one in a deal that encapsulated this fish with fish I really wanted. At first it behaved as I expected and showed a sunken belly - suddenly he/she began to act as our indoor cat - always begging for food. It is a fish from the Amblygobius family - not sure of the exact species though. These two photos show a wonderful fish with a belly that matches its owner 🤣

goby1.jpg


goby2.jpg

​
Sincerely Lasse
Like mandarins, there are exceptions to every rule. I have seen some that adapt well to prepared foods. But I'd argue over my years of professional aquarium care, the sgnificant majority of them die prematurely often to starvation, and no one seems to care like they do if it were a mandarin.
 
Like mandarins, there are exceptions to every rule. I have seen some that adapt well to prepared foods. But I'd argue over my years of professional aquarium care, the sgnificant majority of them die prematurely often to starvation, and no one seems to care like they do if it were a mandarin.
I only feed with adult frozen brine shrimps and frozen freshwater cyclops - but a lot - around 30 gr a day. Aquarium 300 L (80 G) and 30 to 40 smaller fish. Very difficult to say the exact number because many of them are natural rock cavers and hiding places are not in short supply in my aquarium

However - I´m lucky to have this fish - its a rare beauty and does some cleaning now and than when its not begging for food🤣

Sincerely Lasse
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new