what foods do you feed your corals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i understand feeding of your corals is suppose to be done with help from algea bed. Does anyone use other products to feed corals? Gonipower, reef frenzie, etc.. or is this not necessary. new to this and do not want to disrupt the elements in the water.
thanks

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of coral. A good tool is http://www.liveaquaria.com/ . Research what you want to introduce into your tank before you do. That also means looking up that coral while at the store and you see something you want but are not familiar with the coral and care. This will save you headache and money. Some corals feed from the light and water column, others can be directly fed in addition to feeding off the water column and light, and still others have to be directly fed multiple times a day. Most benefit from direct feeding. Some will warn you about liquid products you add to the tank. The big thing is research the coral you want, they are different, and get familiar with the different categories (SPS, LPS, NPS....) because that give you a general understanding of their care. But research the specific coral before adding it to your tank. Same thing you would do with fish. Also, that site is a great resource for fish.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish poop is best. Everything extra adds to your nitrates

OP
OP
M

meinekebob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the type of coral. A good tool is http://www.liveaquaria.com/ . Research what you want to introduce into your tank before you do. That also means looking up that coral while at the store and you see something you want but are not familiar with the coral and care. This will save you headache and money. Some corals feed from the light and water column, others can be directly fed in addition to feeding off the water column and light, and still others have to be directly fed multiple times a day. Most benefit from direct feeding. Some will warn you about liquid products you add to the tank. The big thing is research the coral you want, they are different, and get familiar with the different categories (SPS, LPS, NPS....) because that give you a general understanding of their care. But research the specific coral before adding it to your tank. Same thing you would do with fish. Also, that site is a great resource for fish.
Thanks, i do look there. I'm not new to reefing, just the triton method. And tok a while to get water in check. So i do not want to add things that may throw it off. Was just wondering if most people add any other coral supplements other than normal feedings.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work we run a couple of reef tanks more or less as the Triton Method suggest. We have been adding EasyBooster(phytoplankton) with dosing pumps for at least a year. EasyBooster can be connected to a dosingpump and are like box wine. How much we add depend on the nutrient levels. Right now we dose a lot since the nutrients are quite low.
I can't say if I makes a lot of diffence, but I think it does something good for the SPS corals.

We do see good result in a cold water aquarium. We dose EasyBooster and a mix of live rotifers and artemia etc. With the phytoplankton we have seen Alcyonium digitatum growing, which we havn't seen before.

I haven't seen anythink bad on our ICP-test so far from the phytoplankton.

/ David

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food big variety, Fish poop mostly( fish produce a lot) daily, reef roids twice a week, phytoplankton twice a week, all these in conjunction seem to work great.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to agree with fish poop. It seems to be doing the job thus far. I was using phytoplankton once a week but all I noticed was my skimmer was pulling out way more gunk, and no real difference in coral growth/coloring, so I stopped.

I just recently started using reef roids (it's been about 3 weeks), I feed about once a week after every water change, but it's too early to tell the difference.

If your corals are thriving, growing, showing good colors, just experiment with different foods and see what you like :)

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to agree with fish poop. It seems to be doing the job thus far. I was using phytoplankton once a week but all I noticed was my skimmer was pulling out way more gunk, and no real difference in coral growth/coloring, so I stopped.

I just recently started using reef roids (it's been about 3 weeks), I feed about once a week after every water change, but it's too early to tell the difference.

If your corals are thriving, growing, showing good colors, just experiment with different foods and see what you like :)
When feeding phyto etc... are you turning off the sump for a couple hours, I find that when feeding aminos, trace elements, phyto, roids etc... I turn off the skimmer for a couples hours to let the stuff just circulate around.

Captmcfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1/4 tbs reef roids 1/4 tbs reef bugs two to three times a week I noticed after doing so the next day my ammonia goes up 2 ppm in 24 hrs but it also drops back to .25 ppm over night. My nitrates go up roughly to 5 ppm in return. My chato easily takes that up by the next day. I do notice that my corals seem to like the mix I feed. My stock includes a blasto gsp two different types of shrooms a Duncan favea and an acan one sailfin tang one clown one coral banded shrimp one peppermint shrimp and my cuc

FWIW I run a 65g dt a 20 gallon sump with fuge no filter socks no gfo I dose two part. Have roughly 60 lbs of rock and 60 lbs of cc substrate. I do run a hob skimmer

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back