What gives with hammer corals? Why so difficult?

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy hammer corals, but for some reason they seem to be the only coral (outside of SPS experimentation) I’ve had troubles with since starting my first reef endeavor 10 months ago.

Parameters have been good enough to keep everything else happy, but for some reason I’m now on my 2nd hammer starting to go downhill (although I did drop a Tunze nano glass cleaning magnet on a corner so it could be that).

Frogspawn and torches thrive while hammers do not. What could some possible reasons be?

Here’s a shot of the tank:

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am missing something but in that video your hammers look healthy and happy from what I can see.
Here’s what he looks like now - this happened to my purple hammer too. Would thrive during the day once the lights start to dim starts looking like its PO’d and I can find no explanation. The green hammer has been a champ.

72D6E9E3-E97B-4319-8D3D-6B9F984F2F30.jpeg

Vegasgundog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there brown slime or jelly that I can't see in the photo? Iodine dip if so and use pipette in dip to blow off any jelly. Other than that I've never had any difficulty with hammer.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there brown slime or jelly that I can't see in the photo? Iodine dip if so and use pipette in dip to blow off any jelly. Other than that I've never had any difficulty with hammer.
Not currently - if I see a hint of brown jelly they get removed asap. In my nano I don’t have the resources or patience to try to nurse coral back to health, so if they hit a certain level, especially euphyllia, they get removed so as not to risk the health of my healthy corals.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's letting out waste or some zooxanthellae. Nothing to worry about unless it is showing bleaching or tissue recession. Otherwise totally normal thing that can happen.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what he looks like now - this happened to my purple hammer too. Would thrive during the day once the lights start to dim starts looking like its PO’d and I can find no explanation. The green hammer has been a champ.

72D6E9E3-E97B-4319-8D3D-6B9F984F2F30.jpeg
I've got a bunch of hammers and they all pull in at lights out for a couple hours.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the hammers retracting when the lights go down, and the occasional expelling of brown snot from time to time. Nothing to worry about. Mine started as 2 heads 17 years ago.
IMG_1150.JPEG
It seems on one side his tentacles are way further out than they normally are mainly during mid-day - seems fine otherwise. Is that a sign of anything?

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had similar issues with hammers. Right now I have two and the place where they’re happiest is directly under my Tunze wave-maker and on the far left . Every other place I’ve tried they’ve eventually given me the virtual finger and croaked. Kinda hard to see them, but at least they’re happy .
81E07A93-2381-4D30-9DB4-5C682C2C3C0B.jpeg
E8512AB1-13C3-4B9B-9206-8A1CD2275B7A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy hammer corals, but for some reason they seem to be the only coral (outside of SPS experimentation) I’ve had troubles with since starting my first reef endeavor 10 months ago.

Parameters have been good enough to keep everything else happy, but for some reason I’m now on my 2nd hammer starting to go downhill (although I did drop a Tunze nano glass cleaning magnet on a corner so it could be that).

Frogspawn and torches thrive while hammers do not. What could some possible reasons be?

Here’s a shot of the tank:
Any chance the sand is irritating it?
How is the flow in that corner? Sometimes flow against a wall or corner is diminished a lot.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance the sand is irritating it?
How is the flow in that corner? Sometimes flow against a wall or corner is diminished a lot.
Good thought. I lost a huge wall hammer I'd had for years because I bought a 5 buck blue damsel for my granddaughter. Digging constantly. killing my hammer. To many rocks to catch the fish. Moved the hammer and that where the next tunnel would. Sand is tough on hammers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I can keep frog spawn and hammers just fine. I can't keep a torch to save my life. I did only try one torch, but, been scared to every since given their prices.
Torch can be easy and can also challenge the most experienced hobbyist.
One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have with torch is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis

Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 77-79 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.1 - 8.3
Calcium level of 400 - 450 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting.

OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had similar issues with hammers. Right now I have two and the place where they’re happiest is directly under my Tunze wave-maker and on the far left . Every other place I’ve tried they’ve eventually given me the virtual finger and croaked. Kinda hard to see them, but at least they’re happy .
81E07A93-2381-4D30-9DB4-5C682C2C3C0B.jpeg
E8512AB1-13C3-4B9B-9206-8A1CD2275B7A.jpeg
The only problem is I have a green hammer right next to him doing fine. One thing I did do - I dropped a nano magnet on him and he’s never been the same since. I don’t think it hit hard enough to do anything but maybe a decent blow. Are hammers just super fragile in that sense in they kind of never recover from trauma?

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayFish4004

JayFish4004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can keep frog spawn and hammers just fine. I can't keep a torch to save my life. I did only try one torch, but, been scared to every since given their prices.
That is the strangest thing about this hobby - one species thrives in my tank and doesnt in yours and vice versa, even within my own tank one species of hammer will thrive and another will not. Always keeps ya guessing :)

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By chance do you feed it and keep an eye on your magnesium? I feed mine every couple days and keep my mag levels in check (Bionic Mag) and they grow and grow. I'm a bit lucky as in my area I have a local fish store that sells live BLACK worms (not Blood Worms). I drop a few on top of them and they eat them right up. There was a time the store was out of them for a few weeks and I found them online and purchased a 1/2 lb. and just kept them alive in the fridge. They lasted 2 to 3 months feeding them daily.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back