What glass suction cups did you use to lift 500+lb tanks?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needing to buy a specific number, not sure how many yet, glass suction cups to lift safely my 550lb 8 foot long aquarium.

Who has moved and lifted large aquariums before that weighed over 450lbs and what did you use? And how many?? If you have a link to what you used I’d really appreciate it!

This is what I was considering to buy. At least 4, maybe 6 or 8, I have no idea. That’s why I’m asking lol

3EF17A7A-F97F-4498-ABBA-59C6F31D7438.png

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the ones I have. I use four on a four foot tank, 3/4" glass. Four would be a minimum on any tank requiring cups. I would go with at least six, with one person per cup on an eight foot tank. Maybe eight depending on the distance and what you have to navigate.

With my tank I used dollies from point A to B. So the only lifting was onto to dollies, then up onto the stand. I wasn't walking the tank any where, or going up or down stairs.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never lifted 450+ pounds and hopefully others with actual experience will check in. However, I'm not sure I'd trust just the suction cups will all that weight. You might wish to include a shoulder strap lifting harness.....like this....as a little insurance:

Lifting Straps.jpg

I've used these for large furniture,refrigerators,washer/dryers, etc., making the move a lot easier

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never lifted 450+ pounds and hopefully others with actual experience will check in. However, I'm not sure I'd trust just the suction cups will all that weight. You might wish to include a shoulder strap lifting harness.....like this....as a little insurance:

Lifting Straps.jpg

I've used these for large furniture,refrigerators,washer/dryers, etc., making the move a lot easier
I’ve had those recommended before and I just don’t see how that concept is feasible personally with an 8 foot long 30 inch front to back 550-560lb aquarium. That to me just screams back or shoulder injury or broken tank IMO. I could be totally wrong, but that’s just what it seems like to me

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are the ones I have. I use four on a four foot tank, 3/4" glass. Four would be a minimum on any tank requiring cups. I would go with at least six, with one person per cup on an eight foot tank. Maybe eight depending on the distance and what you have to navigate.

With my tank I used dollies from point A to B. So the only lifting was onto to dollies, then up onto the stand. I wasn't walking the tank any where, or going up or down stairs.
I’m using furniture skates to move around on any level ground. And then this tank does have to go downstairs, but I’m hoping to use half thick mdf board and make a ramp out of it on the steps to more or less just slide the tank down the steps and back onto furniture skates. And then the big lift which would be from the furniture skates up 30 inches and onto the stand.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought those straps going to walk a tank to the rear of my house across the grass. They were impossible on a four foot tank. The weight was too much for two people. They might be ok for 100#.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rent them CustomAquariums.com. They have packs set up depending on the weight. They will ship them too you. My tank was only 400 pounds, and we used 8 of their suction cups to move it. It was fairly easy for 4 of us to move it with the suction cups.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woods power grip. When I used to build curtain walls and storefronts, these were the only cups we used. I’ve used them to lift+300lbs of glass with the help of three others of course

Last edited:

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the 8" ones in the original OP's post. Not the double yellow ones. I've used both and the 8" units hold exceptionally well assuming clean glass. My last tank was a 6' long tank with 5/8" glass and weighed 360 pounds, took four 8" cups and four of us to move. 90 Pounds is doable per person, especially if it's just onto a furniture dolly.

For a 550 pound tank, 6 should be enough for strong, experienced movers, but 8 would be safer.

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently moved my S-1000 tank using 4 guys and a pair of he forearm/shoulder appliance straps mentioned above.
We had 1 guy at each corner and it was easy enough, fyi the S-1000 is a 7' 500+ lb tank.

cajun1337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Planet Aquariums 280 (72x30x30) was moved into my living room using 4 of these 10 inch suction cups from Amazon. 2 cups on each of the short sides and 4 guys. The tank is certainly around 500lbs.
Screenshot_20211118-203923_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
CincyReefer07

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Planet Aquariums 280 (72x30x30) was moved into my living room using 4 of these 10 inch suction cups from Amazon. 2 cups on each of the short sides and 4 guys. The tank is certainly around 500lbs.
Screenshot_20211118-203923_Chrome.jpg
I actually ended up just buying those exact ones just a couple hours ago. Although I bought 2 pair of them in the 8” size. I also have a couple cheap harbor freight dual suction cups also, but I wasn’t trusting those very much.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy owns a granite instillation company and they use suction cups like the first ones posted to carry and move large pieces of granite around. I have no doubt they would work on your tank. I would think you could go with 2, one on each end but 4, one on each corner would probably be easier.

corey

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back