WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does anyone have an idea what this green macroalgae is? I obtained it a month ago on some LFS live rock (which I assume originated from the Indo-Pacific when wild live rock was more popular). Since then, it has doubled in size, having grown to an inch across. It is smooth, and stiff yet is very flexible as well. My guesses are that it might be a green Gracilaria tikvahiae individual or Cladophora, but it might be neither as well.

Manny D. Mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does anyone have an idea what this green macroalgae is? I obtained it a month ago on some LFS live rock (which I assume originated from the Indo-Pacific when wild live rock was more popular). Since then, it has doubled in size, having grown to an inch across. It is smooth, and stiff yet is very flexible as well. My guesses are that it might be a green Gracilaria tikvahiae individual or Cladophora, but it might be neither as well.

I think it looks more like Gracilaria tikvahiae :)

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, the pictures disappeared. Here they are again:
19B87108-8453-4946-9D0B-86742B25613D.jpeg

12BAF371-18F1-4989-8FBC-EC0C3CEAEFFF.jpeg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Out of all the seaweeds I have considered for cultivation, this one was never found.

Description

Thallus 12-15 cm tall, comprised of finely branched clumps, irregularly branched, 1mm wide. Axes compressed or flattened,with short laterals bering more slender than axes with spinous branchlets. Branching mostly dichotomous, but can be highly irregular, with dichotomous below, alternate above and dichotomous at apices. Apices tapered and pointed, often unevenly forked with one side longer than the other. In the wild, the plant can range from dark green to shades of red and brown.

The morphology of this alga is highly variable. Plants grown commercially are often completely dichotomously branched with axes and branches of nearly the same diameter throughout. Cultured plants are often very dark green to nearly black.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back