What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who ask a question then totally disregard the answer/advice they are given
Oh this one is strong. This happened at work today. Someone called me because I’m the company expert on a product. She proceeded to ask me what I would do and how it works. I explained, and she disregarded everything I said and chose to do it her way.

(This product is a financial instrument with $2,000,000 to $25,000,000 houses as collateral). I thought to myself, “Cool, good talk. Glad we had this talk”.

I felt somewhat bad, I verbatim said “yeah, or you could disregard everything I said and risk burning the deal, that’s fine too”.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this one is strong. This happened at work today. Someone called me because I’m the company expert on a product. She proceeded to ask me what I would do and how it works. I explained, and she disregarded everything I said and chose to do it her way.

(This product is a financial instrument with $2,000,000 to $25,000,000 houses as collateral). I thought to myself, “Cool, good talk. Glad we had this talk”.

I felt somewhat bad, I verbatim said “yeah, or you could disregard everything I said and risk burning the deal, that’s fine too”.

Funny. BTW, sounds like you may be using a Bloomberg terminal in your job. I worked for Bloomberg for many years.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a fish store and it happens to me all the time! The other day someone was asking what kind of fish they could get, how to use water conditioner, etc. And they brought in a water sample and asked me to check it. I checked it, there was some ammonia and I proceeded to tell them that they had some ammonia. They respond with "oh no my water's fine I've had fish in there for years". I literally just looked straight at her, said "okay" and gave her a blank stare. I just checked it!!! Why did you want me to check it if you "know" it's fine?!

This is such a good venting thread.
I Work at a Vets office, people routinely come in to pay for a medical opinion they then ignore, only to come back and don't get why there is still an issue. Smh

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time people asking for your opinion are just seeking confirmation of that they already believe, to make themselves feel better or more secure about their decision.
Agree, have plenth of friends, family call to ask about theirs pets over the years. My answer is always sounds like need to go the vet. They have quit asking me for the most part.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny. BTW, sounds like you may be using a Bloomberg terminal in your job. I worked for Bloomberg for many years.
Believe it or not, we are not. I partner with many financial planners who can pay for that for me haha!

My focus is reverse financing (reverse mortgage or reverse line of credit) options for large homes for people with large estate values — using a reverse mortgage to maximize their net estate value when passing, or using it to avoid inheritance taxes or in-home care “asset bleed-outs”. I find it more interesting than any of you probably will, but yeah it’s a unique job description. I’m also a sales manager so I know several other analogous circumstances of people asking then disregarding but hey, humans will be humans! :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, we are not. I partner with many financial planners who can pay for that for me haha!

My focus is reverse financing (reverse mortgage or reverse line of credit) options for large homes for people with large estate values — using a reverse mortgage to maximize their net estate value when passing, or using it to avoid inheritance taxes or in-home care “asset bleed-outs”. I find it more interesting than any of you probably will, but yeah it’s a unique job description. I’m also a sales manager so I know several other analogous circumstances of people asking then disregarding but hey, humans will be humans! :)

Nice. I do find it very interesting. But of course, I am a wonk. I am the kind of organizer who runs a spreadsheet for everything. Work, investments, hobbies, etc. and I continually read, research and plan.

I worked for Bloomberg Television in the middle of my career and now work as a live television freelancer for news and sports primarily. While I was there I tried to learn all I could about securities and economics because it was available on the terminal. By the end, self-taught, I was importing API data directly to spreadsheets and programming simple Visual Basic for Applications to track economic data and investments. All just for fun, LOL.

As far as humans, in my experience they will ask for advice from many sources until they get the reinforcing answer they had desired from the beginning.

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan either. FB format is terrible, and good luck trying to find anything more than a few days old.
I found a good group so far on fb. I've seen some nasty replies tho. And admin immediately screenshot the post banned the person. Then posted the screenshot saying if you can't act human don't be on this group. It's like a shaming post. LOVE IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back