What grinds your gears?

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby there can be a lot of things that frustrate you but what is that one thing that really gets to you?

For me it’s over stocking. In reefs, fowlr, fw it doesn’t matter. Everything about it really bothers me. And while browsing on FB marketplace a few minutes ago I came across this monstrosity, the ad says it’s a 120 gallon fat boy
9E1CC9BC-DF8A-460C-A2B1-955975B33E7D.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
think you got a good one here steve

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say it grinds my gears but it does make me sad when I see people with new Tanks stocking it up with several hundred dollars of fish and corals. We all know the outcome and it really bothers me that people don't take the time to learn and then establish a proper tank before they buy live animals to put in them.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with most of the above comments. Especially the ones that mention lack of patience...

Right now I am setting up a new tank, and the length of time it takes to do this with RO/DI water is seriously grinding my gears lol. My weekdays are so loaded that it's a three day affair getting it done, and I am chomping at the bit to get the tank running and cycling...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the tank was instantly stocked. Is it bad, or going to die soon

what if it was a hundred gallons, does that change animal safety forecast

what happens if a newbie reads his blog and copies the setup, does ammonia overcome everything and kill the corals

if pros or macna booths build instant reefs full of animals its ok, just not for newbs to do it. Down with newbs and quick stocking then?

my pet peeve is with today’s cycling science and how polar opposite the rules apply to different sectors of our hobby. It’s nothing posted here, it’s cycle threads in every forum directing opposing approaches.

dinner plate sized ray in a small tank / against fully. Wherever that tank exists on a forum or fs site, flammage must be occurring

not looking for cycle anarchy. Just looking for the truth in cycling and allowed start dates for aquarists in general. Lots of people make profit from the opposing views on cycling, it’s worth $ to investigate. (when unsure, buy more bottle bac or a different brand)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

the tank was instantly stocked. Is it bad, or going to die soon

what if it was a hundred gallons, does that change animal safety forecast

what happens if a newbie reads his blog and copies the setup, does ammonia overcome everything and kill the corals

if pros or macna booths build instant reefs full of animals its ok, just not for newbs to do it. Down with newbs and quick stocking then?

my pet peeve is with today’s cycling science and how polar opposite the rules apply to different sectors of our hobby. It’s nothing posted here, it’s cycle threads in every forum directing opposing approaches.

dinner plate sized ray in a small tank / against fully. Wherever that tank exists on a forum or fs site, flammage must be occurring

not looking for cycle anarchy. Just looking for the truth in cycling and allowed start dates for aquarists in general. Lots of people make profit from the opposing views on cycling, it’s worth $ to investigate

It would be nice to have a clear cut standard that everyone could follow. Regardless of hobbyist level or tank size etc.

You can read 5 articles on cycling and it almost seems like the last one you read will go against what the next one says.

OP
OP
ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with most of the above comments. Especially the ones that mention lack of patience...

Right now I am setting up a new tank, and the length of time it takes to do this with RO/DI water is seriously grinding my gears lol. My weekdays are so loaded that it's a three day affair getting it done, and I am chomping at the bit to get the tank running and cycling...
I feel this on a personal level. I need to fill a 125g and don’t have anything big enough to hold large amounts of water while making RODI.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually post similar things in threads like this, because what 'grinds my gears' is pretty consistent. As OP mentioned putting either too large fish or ones that require a lot of swimming room in tiny tanks. On R2R I remember someone justifying putting a yellow tang in a 20-25 gallon tank, and using the argument that "it is better than at the fish store." I trade/ give away quite a bit of coral locally. When I see tank shots of fish placed in inappropriate systems I tend to just avoid those people and let them know why I am not giving away or selling 'high end' corals to them. One guy responded, "it's just a fish, why do you even care?", to which I responded 'your mentality for these animals is the reason I do not want to work with you'.

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oberst wow I hadnt seen that thread before. Stopped on page one, the takeaway from the following sixteen pages surely distills down to: research, read, then research for months before buying up a bunch of animals. When you’re concept ready, we will skip cycle the heck out of you

20200227_131159.png

Last edited:

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped on page one

You really need to read all of it. The thread is a real classic. The ultimate troll which I, and many others, fell for hook, line & sinker. Kind of embarrassing for me but made me a bit wiser... I hope anyway.

Back