What has caused this with my euphyllia?

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what may have caused my Torch to do this? He was fine a few days ago, noticed he was somewhat leaning so I righted him and the head facing upwards has just deteriorated

Attachments

• 20210520_215025.mp4
    43.4 MB

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sorry to see this :(

What are your parameters and have they swung recently? Age of tank also helps although not always a factor.

How long ago did you get it?

Do you know the par it was under and what par you put it under?

Do you have any cleaner shrimp or crabs?

A snail possibly could have knocked it over and being buried for an extended period of time could have done this as well.

I am so sorry :(

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a picture I would guess a lack of Cipro in your tank.

check this out. It works:

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to see this :(

What are your parameters and have they swung recently? Age of tank also helps although not always a factor.

How long ago did you get it?

Do you know the par it was under and what par you put it under?

Do you have any cleaner shrimp or crabs?

A snail possibly could have knocked it over and being buried for an extended period of time could have done this as well.

I am so sorry :(
The parameters are 0.3 phosphates and 3.0 nitrates salinity is about 35.5/6 and dkh I around 8. I have recently added about 20 hermits and 20 snails, I have always had a cleaner shrimp and have started to dose Vibrant due to a bubble algae outbreak as I do not want an emerald crab due to stuff like this happening, the par was quite low for this one as it's in the corner of the tank but that was lower down is fine? And it hadn't been exposed to any substrate nor had it touched the rocks, like I said the head closest to the rocks was fine, I did however remove this from the main display into a tub and put it in my sump floating, I'll inspect it a little further later on, when removing from the tank tho I did noticed some stringy brown bits, but they were not present until the tissue started to flake away. The torch had been in the tank for about 2 weeks, along with an aussie gold that I got aswell, which is fine? Touch wood.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without a picture I would guess a lack of Cipro in your tank.

check this out. It works:
Cipro works wonders if you have a bacterial infection...excellent suggestion!

The parameters are 0.3 phosphates and 3.0 nitrates salinity is about 35.5/6 and dkh I around 8. I have recently added about 20 hermits and 20 snails, I have always had a cleaner shrimp and have started to dose Vibrant due to a bubble algae outbreak as I do not want an emerald crab due to stuff like this happening, the par was quite low for this one as it's in the corner of the tank but that was lower down is fine? And it hadn't been exposed to any substrate nor had it touched the rocks, like I said the head closest to the rocks was fine, I did however remove this from the main display into a tub and put it in my sump floating, I'll inspect it a little further later on, when removing from the tank tho I did noticed some stringy brown bits, but they were not present until the tissue started to flake away. The torch had been in the tank for about 2 weeks, along with an aussie gold that I got aswell, which is fine? Touch wood.
2 things I notice that could definitely have played and issue are hermits and vibrant.

I highly doubt hermits did this in your situation unless the torch was damaged and then aging down at which point the hermits would have come to "clean it up" and you would have noticed those.

I have read a lot of refers experience loss of coral after dosing.

I cannot be 100% sure but this sounds like what may have happened to your torch.

Were you dosing the full strength?

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro works wonders if you have a bacterial infection...excellent suggestion!

2 things I notice that could definitely have played and issue are hermits and vibrant.

I highly doubt hermits did this in your situation unless the torch was damaged and then aging down at which point the hermits would have come to "clean it up" and you would have noticed those.

I have read a lot of refers experience loss of coral after dosing.

I cannot be 100% sure but this sounds like what may have happened to your torch.

Were you dosing the full strength?
Yeah full strength vibrant and that's kind of worrying, I've got about £1500 invested in these torches but the bubble algae is sooooo off putting

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, a week ago i experienced something similar. Out of nowhere, i lost all my euphillia. It was devastating, to say the least, and made me lose interest for a bit. IF it is brown slime then it will spread so i suggest looking into this Cipro antibiotic and getting started as soon as possible. I never used cipro nor do i know much about it so make sure that it does not have ill effects before using it. Im sure someone more experienced could chime in.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant worked for me at normal strength and took out 100% bubble algae and 90% of the hair, but took a full 16 weeks.

Nothing was harmed during the treatment, or subsequent.

My torches react negatively when there’s any swing in Alk and/or MG lower than 1400ppm.

FC20F006-A731-44AA-926A-A70CEB348DFD.jpeg

OP
OP
downonthereef

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you keep a close eye on other lps. Make sure nothing else is showing symptoms.
One of my holy grails is bailing one of it's heads and another torch has completely gone. What do I do? Everything in the tank seems fine? Theres a clownfish acting strange but that is it, nothing else is showing signs of being stressed

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my holy grails is bailing one of it's heads and another torch has completely gone. What do I do? Everything in the tank seems fine? Theres a clownfish acting strange but that is it, nothing else is showing signs of being stressed
It is probably brown slime, which is contagious. Im so sorry to hear this. im not an expert on how to deal with it as i lost my lps due to it. I suggest you research how to deal with and treat brown slime disease ASAP. If you have a QT system place your torch there.

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i know, dipping in lugols helps. You can also try peroxide, that helps too. Antibiotic dips help as well. Again it is better if you quickly do some research to be better informed. If you have a UV, run it. Also try doing a water change and gently sucking the brown jelly off of the coral. Are your parameters good?

@Shep

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I still suspect the vibrant started this, cupro will be your best bet to rid the tank of the bad bacteria that had made it a home.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back