Altmann

Altmann

What have I gotten myself into?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200.gif

Welcome to the money pit! I mean ummm.... welcome to stress relief..... ummmm.... welcome. Just welcome.
Lol . TRUTH! And thank you!

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me you going to want to want to go with the sump for multiple reasons.

Robin Williams Hello GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
Okay so sump vs something? I am leaning a whole new vocabulary here. Is the entire tank containg the skimmer / refugium considered a sump or is a sump something in addition? Omg I feel like I should lick windows, and yet I am enjoying the learning....

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Thank goodness. I lived for the knowledge here as I first got Puff going. I knew it was time to join when I am butt deep into this reef and couldn't figure out what I was doing with this whole bottom tank business. I know someday I will look back on this and laugh, but until then.... thank you all in advance!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol! Yup. Here I am. Like a deer in the headlights, commited and confused!
You'll do just fine, being here is a great start where folks will help you through the growing pains of the first year!!!

Good luck!!!

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! Sump is your whole bottom tank, sometimes the refugium is part of it, sometimes separate. My sump holds my skimmer and my refugium is part of it as well. You'll come to realize there are many ways to do it that will all work, just to add to the confusion lol

Raven09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Live in upstate NY... from Florida. Have a 38g with my "Puff Daddy" he is a GSP, saltwater, had him about 8 years. Puff is my ❤. We are battling an algae bloom from hell. I've had stuff going on in there that may be new strands of algae never before discovered. Almost 8 years and NOW I get a bloom. No not a bloom... an explosion. We are working through the process- thanks to advice I find on here as a lurker. Just started a 55g reef about 4 months ago. I have decided to add protein skimmer/sump/refugium. And also realize I have no idea what I am doing. Every link I click when I ask the Google takes me down another rabbit hole and I put my soon to be/maybe someday/refugium-sump-skimmer tank with all the goodies away and say I will wait and read more. I have a list as long as my leg of fish and coral and this and that.... but I really need to figure out the soon to be/maybe someday/refugium-sump-skimmer tank business so I can safely add and really get this thing going. Looking forward to learning more, and really wish there was a 'for dummies' book on this stiff!
Just stop!!! Take a deep breath!! STOP STOP STOP.
Hopefully you don’t have fish or corals. Now, if the algae is that bad drain the tank, spray all areas with Nitrogen Peroxide. This will kill the algae, now wait for the peroxide to work. Then use vinegar to wash all areas and then flush VERY-VERY-VERY WELL. If you leave any algae behind it will regrow SO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN!!
Now STOP, take another deep breath and start again. But first find out what you did wrong so you don’t repeat your mistake. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you don’t have fish or corals. Now, if the algae is that bad drain the tank, spray all areas with Nitrogen Peroxide. This will kill the algae, now wait for the peroxide to work. Then use vinegar to wash all areas and then flush VERY-VERY-VERY WELL. If you leave any algae behind it will regrow SO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAN!!
Now STOP, take another deep breath and start again. But first find out what you did wrong so you don’t repeat your mistake. Hope this

Now STOP, take another deep breath and start again. But first find out what you did wrong so you don’t repeat your mistake. Hope this helps!
I'm breathing! The tank with the ***** algae bloom is my puffer tank. Puff Daddy is my Green spotted puffer that I have had abt 8 years. He has no coral because he is a butthead and will eat them . He gets glorious hard plastic plants because if I put anything that moves with the water flow - he bites it. Levels in his tank are a dream. I change his filters every 2 weeks (at most). (Last summer with all the pandemic insanity with shipping delays and out of stocks etc was the only exception - I kept saying but I have had the same autoship for 5 years! Aquarium supplies and cat litter ARE ESSENTIAL!) Any way when everything got backed up his Nitrates went up. I did little water changes for months, used Nitrate remover and talked to a wall.... nothing mattered.. So I did a 50% water change.... monitored levels every couple days did my maintenance and within 2 weeks I was growing hair algae like I was breeding it for money.. nitrates were back up and trace amounts of ammonia. I added Dr. Tims and a week later my tank smelled like rotting fish. (Insert the 'oh hell naw' here) I put Puff in a makeshift holding tank (i went to use my emergency use 'fish hospital' and saw it was cracked - insert 'I can't even' here- and gutted his tank. I scrubbed each rock individually before I put it back in and all live rock was pulled out scrubbed and kept out) I put it all back together minus plastic plants (which I threw away) and live rock. PUFF WAS BIG MAD! chomping his beak at me through the glass talking all kinds of smack. His nooks and crannies- fun hiding spots and adventures all gone. Just Puff, some rock, his filter, under gravel filters and powerhead and bubblers. Levels are perfect. And the tank begins to cycle. Algae starts blooming and I'm scrubbing - Again. Puff is nagging me and I am nagging back - we may need couples therapy after this. I pulled out all his rocks (I haven't bother with fancy substrate for years because it hinders the undergravel flow and he is a messy eater) I took out his old river rocks put brand new in after I scrubbed the entire system again (only 15% water change though) I have added submersible uv sterilizer into his otb bio-wheel filter and PhosGuard will be here tomorrow so I can add socks of that in the lifters to his undergravel filter.

Phew.

Seriously though. This is my tank with my one GSP. But he is my boy and when his belly is brown and he tucks his tail, it breaks my heart. Hopefully this is the end of the cycling and we can return to our standard methodical happy consistent ways.

I may have to start a go fund me for our therapy though.

My reef was fishless cycled for months before I added a couple cleaners. Levels are good and everything is progressing nicely in there. I have decided that even though I started it following the sump-less plan, that I will feel more comfortable with the sump and protein skimmer and all the benefits that come with using it as the holding room for adding new 'stuffs'. But that was a whole new level of fun - which made me say "what have I gotten myself into?"

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey welcome! Sump is your whole bottom tank, sometimes the refugium is part of it, sometimes separate. My sump holds my skimmer and my refugium is part of it as well. You'll come to realize there are many ways to do it that will all work, just to add to the confusion lol
Thank you! I realized I was confusing myself. Put it all together today and I will create a new thread when I find where it should go (lol) so people can give advice and make suggestions! Thanks for the love and support!

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum ! I don't know about a "for dummies" book, but Paul B.'s The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist - 60 Years Of Fishkeeping is a really good, informative read and well worth the 5 bucks cost of a Kindle edition. It is very entertaining and contains a lot of valuable information for beginner and advanced aquarists. You can find it on Amazon.

OP
OP
Altmann

Altmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum ! I don't know about a "for dummies" book, but Paul B.'s The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist - 60 Years Of Fishkeeping is a really good, informative read and well worth the 5 bucks cost of a Kindle edition. It contains a lot of valuable information for beginner and advanced aquarists. You can find it on Amazon.
Thank you!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back