What I do for my seahorses

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like to start by saying I’ve read all the different opinions on how to care for seahorses. From people caring for seahorses for 10 to 30 yrs and all are mixed. Anyway this is what works for me. I started yesterday by going 5 miles offshore filled five 5gal buckets with ocean water. Then let sit by heater with air pumps in each one to bring temperature up to what they are used to. Then tonight after dinner I filled 1 bucket with water from tank put in couple of plants then put all seahorses in it. After that I drain all water out take out all decor n rinse off real good in Hot water then wipe dry I also do same with filter. Then I take all fake pebbles from bottom of tank and rinse off also in hot water. Now I take tank into bathtub and wash thoroughly with you guessed it. Hot water dry off well and let sit for half hour. Now it’s time to put all back together I’m sure you can guess process. After all back in running form I let run for half hour. Then I get my buddies and carefully put them back in. They go right to a place to hide. Within an hour they are All swimming around n seem happy. Anyway that’s what I’ve been doing every 6 to 7 weeks for two years

Attachments

• IMG_0404.mov
    3.3 MB

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my only question is about the biological filtration if literally everything is rinsed. Interesting to ponder. I would guess that the water comes pristine from the ocean and then slowly accumulates waste and then the tank tries to cycle each time a rinse and water change takes place. All components of the power filter is rinsed?

Also FWIW, the pony in the video is a handsome guy but looks awfully thin. What are they eating?

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my only question is about the biological filtration if literally everything is rinsed. Interesting to ponder. I would guess that the water comes pristine from the ocean and then slowly accumulates waste and then the tank tries to cycle each time a rinse and water change takes place. All components of the power filter is rinsed?

Also FWIW, the pony in the video is a handsome guy but looks awfully thin. What are they eating?

well for awhile I was just feeding brine but from reading other things should be giving them I started including mysis shrimp. They seem to like it The one in video is my personal favorite horse had him 1 and half years his name is stubby because of his tail

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQ, I'm happy that you've found a way to make it work. However, for MOST seahorse keepers it could become VERY problematic for them with captive bred seahorses.
You've already stated you get wild caught seahorses from your nets, and they most likely have already been exposed to the pathogens most prevalent in the water you collect from the ocean, thereby hopefully developing an immunity to said pathogens. For captive bred it can be a whole different ball game. For seahorses with strong immunity then they may do OK with such protocols, but most seahorses DON'T have strong immune capabilities and therefore MAY be prone to the pathogens exposed to from natural seawater.
Dan Underwood of seahorse source collects ocean water, BUT, he treats the water AND he filters it progressively down to I think about .5 microns
I would hope than any OTHER reputable breeder would be doing the same when using ocean water.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQ, I'm happy that you've found a way to make it work. However, for MOST seahorse keepers it could become VERY problematic for them with captive bred seahorses.
You've already stated you get wild caught seahorses from your nets, and they most likely have already been exposed to the pathogens most prevalent in the water you collect from the ocean, thereby hopefully developing an immunity to said pathogens. For captive bred it can be a whole different ball game. For seahorses with strong immunity then they may do OK with such protocols, but most seahorses DON'T have strong immune capabilities and therefore MAY be prone to the pathogens exposed to from natural seawater.
Dan Underwood of seahorse source collects ocean water, BUT, he treats the water AND he filters it progressively down to I think about .5 microns
I would hope than any OTHER reputable breeder would be doing the same when using ocean water.
Always enjoy ur input and comments I do learn from them and u always add information and explanation of what ur trying to get across. With that said what I do now works for ME never claim I’m right and my way better. I’m just now learning tons of information on this website about care chemicals good alge bad alge coral ext ext. one of reason I’m taking my time with 55gal set up I just got. Please keep info coming. Thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back