What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by skinz78, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Noel wilson

Noel wilson Member

I have a 125 pretty heavy loaded with corals and fish. Should I run my skimmer 24 7?

2. luke33

luke33 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Yes, it will pull out doc's and keep your orp up.

Noel wilson likes this.
  3. skybears

skybears Lovin it R2R Supporter Monthly Contributor

75 gallon sump and a 75-gallon main tank what would you suggest would be a good protein skimmer for that size

4. Noel wilson

Noel wilson Member

Wow, that's a huge sump . Mine is 45 gallon Eshoppes. With a eshoppes skimmer on a 185 gallon mixed reef. And my skimmer is a smaller one, rated for a 150 gallon.

raddog likes this.
  5. Noel wilson

Noel wilson Member

Skimmer and sump

image.jpg

6. nanomania

nanomania Well-Known Member

Looking for reef octopuc classic 90 hob in india. Cannot find a good source. Please help if any reef octo manufacturer in here.

7. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Does it have to be that specific skimmer. Can you see if you can get a JNS (aka aquamaxx in the US) HOB. They make a great HOB skimmer.

8. nanomania

I want in India. We have 220v here. In usa its 110v

9. jason2459

jason2459 Not a paid scientist R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Yes, JNS is the actual brand that is not US based.

nanomania likes this.
  10. nanomania

Oh.. didnt know tht.. will check.. they work well?

11. sromero287

sromero287 Well-Known Member

Have a total water volume of 72 gallons and I was not sure in between the NYOS 120 or 160, I have a heavy bioload nine fish and 34 corals mostly SPS colonies, i feed twice a day the fish and every other day the corals with a mix of roids, reef chili and RSM Energy in between 4 to 5 mL of the whole mix. I pulled the trigger with the 160 but I've been reading the 160 is going to be way too efficient I will be pulling pretty much everything out of the water do you think it's a good idea to return to 160 and better get the 120, please need your help because I'm still able to do the switch, thanks to all the fellow reefers and happy reefing to everybody.

12. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I'm not familiar with those skimmers but I can tell you that a skimmer can be too large to effectively skim, but it will not hurt your tank. (Just your wallet.)

sromero287 likes this.
  13. Reef 450

Reef 450 Well-Known Member

From all my research NYOS skimmers are the best. I would go for the 160. Reason being your bio load. I would also check out icecap skimmers. They cost less and work just as well. They are very new on the market only about a year or so. I have mine for 6 months and it's amazing. You can check it out on YouTube

14. @croman

@croman Member

From my experience i have owned BubbleKing and Vertex, the Alpha 170 is a great skimmer, so is the BubbleKing Mini 200 and the Supekrmarine.

Im experimenting with a Chinese import DC pump skimmer, i can post results if anyone interested. From my experience a few things matter to make a great skimmer:

1. Air to Water ratio, I find that 1:2 ratio worked best (Most skimmers i see on the market always shows the Air intake but rarely tells water, but both are important), any skimmers with 1000 l/h Air and 2000 l/h water will do a great job for tanks between 100- 200G

2. Pump and impeller, some skimmer don't have the right size of pins on the impeller, this make the difference in what size your bubbles are, impellers with thin needle/pins will create too fine bubble, you need the correct mix of bubbles.

3. Shape, height, base diameter also makes big difference, body of the skimmer should be proportional to the pump thats driving it, even the skimmer neck size plays a significant role in collecting waste.

4. Finally maintenance, to me this is very important as i prefer the pump outside the skimmer body so i can remove it and clean it, also the skimmer collection cup twist-lock is easier to remove.

Thanks
    Uma

15. Seabreeze28516

Seabreeze28516 Member

Don't forget an ozone generator also improves the efficiency of the protein skimmer.

16. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Well-Known Member

Does anybody here have experience in running a reef tank without a protein skimmer? Currently running just a HOB filter on my 30 gal.

17. mcarroll

mcarroll Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

Not personally, but I'd say it's at least a little common. I'd have a larger that normal coral population and smaller than normal fish population if I was going to try it. 24/7 aeration will be your #1 concern without a skimmer running....the larger the bio-load the bigger this issue will be.

I bet someone on #reefsquad is doing it.

18. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Yup. I did it for years.

mcarroll likes this.
  19. Mikeinthekeys

Mikeinthekeys Well-Known Member

Sweet thanks.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  20. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Photo of the Month Award

Keep up on the water changes and make sure hob is full of funky stuff. If it's not it's not pulling anything out of the tank.
    It's a mechanical filter. Like an air filter. So it should get full.

Draft saved Draft deleted