What is a protien skimmer, and what types are commonly used?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a terrible test with old technology. I argued at that study years ago, probably 6 years ago. A cone pulls out the skimmate faster than a cylinder, there isn't any doubt.

telesonic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see your test results proving that a cone pulls out skimmate faster then a cylinder skimmer.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread was in a sponsor forum that was removed. I'm guessing this was 3-4yrs ago. Was a good thread though.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are nice to have. A dc pump is more expensive. You can always put an air valve on your Venturi tube

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to see your test results proving that a cone pulls out skimmate faster then a cylinder skimmer.

Even with both possessing a bubble plate, same height and same GPH output pump and impellars?

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the skimmers were the same size, same pump, same bubble plate, same water through, same air output....etc. One was a cone, the other traditional cylinder.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to disappoint you but it is right : ) The skimmers were swc160 cone vs swc 150bmk. Both 21" tall, 6" diameter, atman 2500 pump 650lph air......sitting in the same sump next to each other, getting same raw water at same time, running the same amount of time, same setting skimmate wise. Not sure how I could have done it any different.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somehow that doesnt sound right

As the saying goes "trust your gut".

Somehow = it's being presented as an apples-to-apples comparison, illustrating a cones superior shape...but it's not apples-to-apples. In a nutshell the same pump, height and diameter for two skimmers of dramatically differing volumes (cone vs cylinder) means one of the two skimmers isn't optimized for the air:water volume being thrown at it.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about the best comparison there is for a cone vs a cylinder out there. I'm sure the experiment would be different now due to the cylinder skimmers changing so much in design, most are generally half a cone these days. When I had these two go head to head it was a true cone vs your old school cylinder skimmer.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said!

As the saying goes "trust your gut".

Somehow = it's being presented as an apples-to-apples comparison, illustrating a cones superior shape...but it's not apples-to-apples. In a nutshell the same pump, height and diameter for two skimmers of dramatically differing volumes (cone vs cylinder) means one of the two skimmers isn't optimized for the air:water volume being thrown at it.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said!

If you guys don't think my logic was correct then that's fine, I really makes no difference to me. I just thought I would run an experiment the best I could for a month and see what happened between a similar cone skimmer and true cylinder skimmer. This was probably 4yrs ago if I had to guess. I'm sure if I asked Rev he would share the thread.

I do have an idea though, instead of just disagreeing, maybe you guys should actually put together a test between a cone and cylinder skimmer, then come up with your own logic and thoughts. I suppose this would actually take some thought and work though. Its just much easier to disagree with an experiment and do nothing in return right?

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get offended. Just accept that you may or may not be wrong.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or even better redesign your own test. I never saw the article, but you're clearly capable and this forum could use an independent review like that! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Why not simply run test v.2 and account for the change in body volume? It's one thing to see theoretical numbers showing how much smaller a cone is vs a cylinder of the same height and diameter...

1/3(b*h) vs (b*h) - huge difference, but boring and gives no perspective! [emoji6]

...it's another to have a real-world test! [emoji3][emoji3] (PM me and I'll help how I can!)

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or even better redesign your own test. I never saw the article, but you're clearly capable and this forum could use an independent review like that! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Why not simply run test v.2 and account for the change in body volume? It's one thing to see theoretical numbers showing how much smaller a cone is vs a cylinder of the same height and diameter...

1/3(b*h) vs (b*h) - huge difference, but boring and gives no perspective! [emoji6]

...it's another to have a real-world test! [emoji3][emoji3] (PM me and I'll help how I can!)

Yea, it would be fun to do again. I think if I were to go that route again I'd use two skimz. In all honesty I just don't have the time nor the desire to do it. If I did I would just have people tell me how I should have done it this way or that way, regardless of how it was done :D

The point I was making the first time around is that two similarly sized skimmers given the same pump, neck diameter, air pull, water through, raw water, same setting....etc that the cone will produce more skimmate. I understand what your saying but that wasn't what I was trying to prove.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get offended. Just accept that you may or may not be wrong.

I'm not so much offended, I just don't know what you are offering in this thread.

Mcarroll and I have always bickered on skimmers, probably going on 8+ yrs now if I had to guess on various forums. I always enjoy his comments even though he mostly disagrees with me :eek:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.7%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 97 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back