What is going on with these corals?

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I noticed some issues with a favia receeding about 2 months ago and then one blasto awhile back. It dropped a head, but the one on the side is fine. Then a couple of my acans and candy canes started receeding. After a closeup view of a coral RX dip, discovered it was black bugs.

Treated for that and left the dead skeleton of the favia in the tank. Today, the favia is glowing under the blues and appears to be coming back. My candy canes continue to receed and additional blastos that were growing have now been losing heads one by one. The acans aren't really better or worse.

I became aware of digitatr hydroids in the tank that setup shop near the blastos, but not the acans. One candy cane looks happy and healthy and is covered in the hydroids. Trying to decide my next move in those.

Parameters have been stable, so why would some corals be dying with others come back to life? I am absolutely lost. I have a feeling it has to do with the bugs and the hydroids, but I moved the blastos and even the affected acans into low flow and light away from where they were with no response.

Alk 8
Temp 78.5
Salinity 1.025
PO .07
Nitrate 10 (lowering this back down to 5 as it jumped last week during bug treatment)
Ph 8.2
CA 480
Mg 1410

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this been going on? Sometimes stuff just looks bad for a couple days and bounces back just fine. If its a continued problem then I'd look into critters. Also alk seems low to me but I'm no expert. I don't test or dose anything right now

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been going on for about 2 months. Dips have revealed black bugs and detritus worms along with copepods. That alk is what my salt runs at. I was using redsea coral pro 8 months ago, but switched to the blue bucket red sea as that alk was around 11 and hard to keep stable.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back