What is growing on my hermit crabs shell???

Shah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please tell me if this is harmful in anyway or not?! Thank you.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new snail or do you have any red macro algaes growing in your tank/sump by any chance?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is still a red macro algae based on shape. If you're able to grab the hermit, I suspect you might have more luck taking a sharper picture with the shell out of water. This would also confirm if the organism is stationary or is motile.

OP
OP
S

Shah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is still a red macro algae based on shape. If you're able to grab the hermit, I suspect you might have more luck taking a sharper picture with the shell out of water. This would also confirm if the organism is stationary or is motile.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: a crab seems to be eating the organism on the host crab. However, it is still on the crab, and the crab that was eating stopped. (organism stays solid while out of water)

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm still stuck on a red macro algae. I'm not that certain, but given the newness of the crab, these organisms are often found where these crabs are collected, and that another crab is eating it, it's my best guess right now, unless someone comes along with a much more educated guess :)

OP
OP
S

Shah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm still stuck on a red macro algae. I'm not that certain, but given the newness of the crab, these organisms are often found where these crabs are collected, and that another crab is eating it, it's my best guess right now, unless someone comes along with a much more educated guess :)
Alright! Thank you very much for the help. (Very appreciated).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back