What is on my fish?

rednecksnob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this round thing is on my fish? My aquarium club people have said a few things, a lot of prolapsed anys answers. I looked it up, and the sacks all are clearing looking. This growth is the color of the fish, and looks hard. I found it last night, and this morning her left side has a bulge in the belly area.

IMG_2114.jpeg IMG_2113.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know what this round thing is on my fish? My aquarium club people have said a few things, a lot of prolapsed anys answers. I looked it up, and the sacks all are clearing looking. This growth is the color of the fish, and looks hard. I found it last night, and this morning her left side has a bulge in the belly area.

IMG_2114.jpeg IMG_2113.jpeg
I'm guessing then - that this happened quickly. It looks like a cloacal prolapse to me - which would be one thing that can happen 'suddenly' (as compared to a tumor, etc). That said, does the base of the pectoral fin also have a similar area? What type of fish is this - its difficult from the picture.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it’s an Oscar - behind it looks like a rosy red minnow (potentially as a feeder, and they are not good feeders due to high thiaminase content).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep it’s an Oscar - behind it looks like a rosy red minnow (potentially as a feeder, and they are not good feeders due to high thiaminase content).
I think both of our answers are the same with regards to the problem:). But - good spotting the minnow - I would not have been able to tell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back