What is one thing in the hobby that you wished existed, but doesn't?

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kelp, to fit every tank.
Mate. I would love a mini kelp forest!
1712553160473.png

Armt350

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An all-in-one easybutton test and dosing device that covers Ca/dKH/N03/P04/Mg that would ideally do its thing for at least two weeks without needing to be monitored.

Bonus points if its sub $1000 and double bonus points if it required no reagents to test.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want biolumi coral that recharges during the day when you have your blue's and uv on, and glows at night.

I want a CBB and Moorish Idol which won't go on a hunger strike from you looking at it funny.

A super PB Tang, or Achiles Tang which aren't ich magnets, or will get ich even tho you 100% sure you did the QT process properly, yet they still show white spots.

A UV sterilizer for fish that you can just put in a box for 10 min and skip the entire QT process.

Actual salt water fish that will school together in a tight shoul and not end up commiting self genocide.

A stop it button for fish when they start getting violent with each other.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A trident style tester that tested for all parameters including nutrients and that dosed every element individually to perfection.
I’d settle for a “Trident Nutrients” that just tested No3 & Po4…

Also… Nanobots, you can program them to take out Aiptasia, Bubble Algae, coral pests, fish parasites, nuisance algae’s.. even clean the glass :zany-face: Maybe even settle disputes between two tangs and create harmony on our reefs:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't disagree more. :)

From an aquascaping perspective coral is just a slow growing plant and that's super important to scaping. However maybe your point was that freshwater relies a lot on rock formations to build around, whereas reef wants it only as a foundation. On that I agree!
All the same principles can exist in reef scapes including the use of SPS, LPS and importantly macroalgae. Is it the same challenge? Of course not - Reefs present all their own unique challenges but that's why I wish experienced scapers and aquarists would band together to provide better and better examples and guidelines for us all to build from.
This is false… for one corals are not plants lol.. they’re animals and aquascape only needs good flow and hiding/ home spaces for other animals and critters.. the corals “animals” build their own reef on the foundation you lay.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers!

This thought recently popped into my head, and I would like to hear your thoughts on it. What is one thing you wished existed in the hobby? It could be anything to do with this hobby. Wether it's a mix of 2 fish, a mix of 2 corals, a type of macroalgae, a piece of technology, or whatever you can think of, I want to here it!
Hobby grade kits for fish and coral spawning.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is false… for one corals are not plants lol.. they’re animals and aquascape only needs good flow and hiding/ home spaces for other animals and critters.. the corals “animals” build their own reef on the foundation you lay.
Ah come on I was clearly speaking as to how it relates to aquascaping, which includes space and thought for all life in the tank. Let's not get into semantics here. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks with etched glass back panels with a solid panel in front (for easy cleaning) with some RGB LED backlighting.
Easy to do with a piece of acrylic behind your tank…

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 58 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%

Back