What is SN and how is it affect your tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y'all,
So i got a triton test result back today with high level of SN, so as the tittle says my question is what is SN and how is it affect your tank and how to get rid of that?
Thanks
SN, I believe, is the elemental symbol for Tin
Not sure if a piece of equipment is leeching it, but are you noticing anything negative happening in your tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sn is the symbol for tin. It is a heavy metal and toxic above certain levels (like zinc, lead, arsenic). How far above the upper limit is your measurement?

d3b34deae9813f5b86c8c176dbc6712e.jpg
3476853a11dcc34dfcdc122291073b62.jpg

This is my triton test, is it in danger zone?

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly couldn't tell you if it is in the danger range or not, I'm not sure many can. Triton just measures the deviance from NSW, not toxicity. But now is the time to inspect anything metal in or above the tank that might be corroding. I definitely agree with Crabs about not chasing numbers, but I would still look for and eliminate a source if there is one. According to Triton, American tanks tend to be high in Tin. Some can come from how the glass was manufactured and is a temporary thing. Others have theorized that American PVC uses organotin compounds to stabilize them against UV. I feel like I just made it harder to figure out where it's coming from...

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d3b34deae9813f5b86c8c176dbc6712e.jpg
3476853a11dcc34dfcdc122291073b62.jpg

This is my triton test, is it in danger zone?

No. I would say not in danger zone. Your Aluminum level is high too. Do you have any metal near or over your system or sump? Light fixture maybe? Could be from a clip that fell on the water, even a paper clip.

If 9 Micrograms per mL is a problem, it will show up in your corals I would imagine.

Do you run carbon?

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly couldn't tell you if it is in the danger range or not, I'm not sure many can. Triton just measures the deviance from NSW, not toxicity. But now is the time to inspect anything metal in or above the tank that might be corroding. I definitely agree with Crabs about not chasing numbers, but I would still look for and eliminate a source if there is one. According to Triton, American tanks tend to be high in Tin. Some can come from how the glass was manufactured and is a temporary thing. Others have theorized that American PVC uses organotin compounds to stabilize them against UV. I feel like I just made it harder to figure out where it's coming from...

Wow very interesting thing about pvc. Honestly i just upgraded from 75 to 90g and swapped out all of my equipment too. I have several things in mind that i suspect for metals leaching from the old tank, i will now do 15% water change for 5-6 times into few weeks and do triton again in few months.

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I would say not in danger zone. Your Aluminum level is high too. Do you have any metal near or over your system or sump? Light fixture maybe? Could be from a clip that fell on the water, even a paper clip.

If 9 Micrograms per mL is a problem, it will show up in your corals I would imagine.

Do you run carbon?

Honestly i just upgraded from 75 to 90g and swapped out all of my equipment too. I have several things in mind that i suspect for metals leaching from the old tank such as rusted screw above the sump, and door locks rusted right above the sump and maybe some other jebao pump rusted too. i will now do 15% water change for 5-6 times into few weeks and do triton again in few months.

Thing is my sps still doing well, coloring up well but really slow growing though

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking about, it seems Cuprisorb will remove Sn from your tank. I have not used this product myself,.. hth.

OP
OP
yepreef

yepreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking about, it seems Cuprisorb will remove Sn from your tank. I have not used this product myself,.. hth.

Or maybe do aggressively rox .8 i mean double amount per gallons. Thanks for the product recommendations though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or maybe do aggressively rox .8 i mean double amount per gallons. Thanks for the product recommendations though.
I would not aggressively do anything. If there is no evidence for a problem with your livestock except for getting rid of any possible sources and changing some
Water. There is no way to know whether this is significant or not? Check with triton. Ask is the margin of error is based on deviation from NSW or whether it’s from data that shows actual toxicity. Imho youll do far more damage chasing tin than anythinng else

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly i just upgraded from 75 to 90g and swapped out all of my equipment too. I have several things in mind that i suspect for metals leaching from the old tank such as rusted screw above the sump, and door locks rusted right above the sump and maybe some other jebao pump rusted too. i will now do 15% water change for 5-6 times into few weeks and do triton again in few months.

Thing is my sps still doing well, coloring up well but really slow growing though

Is the 90Gal brand new! I’m not for certain, but don’t they make float glass by floating the molten glass on a layer of molten tin (or maybe some other metal) to make it ultra flat? I’m thinking if this is the case, they likely place the tin side out.

On the odd chance you have float glass, then there is little to worry about. There would be so little tin, normal water changes would easily abate the problem.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other trace elements, tin comes in many different forms, some of which are more toxic than others. Some are VERY toxic and have been used in marine antibiofouling treatments in the past. I think they are mostly banned for being too toxic. Other forms are less toxic, so it is hard to say with any degree of confidence what levels are OK in a reef tank.

It may come from your aquarium glass itself, PVC plastic parts, metal parts, or other sources.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the odd chance you have float glass, then there is little to worry about. There would be so little tin, normal water changes would easily abate the problem.

Are there other methods used for glass panes other than floating?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%
Back