What is that? Aiptasia or Green Button polyp?

MrPhil266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!

Little question, I bought a couple of live rock and i noticed that there's a lot of little greenish button polyp or Aiptasia. Altough, i am not sure what is that. It seems to move a bit and not i have them everywhere in my tank...

Do you have any cue on what is that thing? And how can i remove them?

Thanks!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure looks like anemones to me. Like halfway between aiptasia and mojano. May want to remove them either way.

OP
OP
MrPhil266

MrPhil266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your comment. I will try to remove them. What is the best way?

Thanks!

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of different methods work for different people. I’ve been hearing about a product called F Aiptasia which seems like it works.

Chemicals can work, but in my experience their use is really diminished when dealing with bigger anemones which are very resilient.

Superglue is a great way to do it. Just seal up the hole they reside in and problem solved. Only problem is getting the glue to them without filling the bottle with water/letting the glue set.

Peppermint shrimp like to pick at/eat smaller anemones, but Shouldn’t be considered a 100% sure thing. Some will just scavenge easier food especially if you already feed a lot.

A favorite of mine is a 2 watt laser. A few sessions per week can greatly damage the anemones without getting your hands wet, and it’s very surgical. On bigger anemones this takes a lot longer and repeated burnings are the way to go. I find that if they can retract into a cave where the laser can’t hit them, your best bet is burning their tentacles so they shrivel and begin to starve. When they start coming out again, hit them again.

Small anemones don’t stand a chance against those lasers and won’t take more than 2-3 treatments.

Lots of options available. It all depends on how willing you are to get down and dirty and how much you want to spend.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep those are Aptasia! Berghia nudibranchs are my favorite way to get rid of them, but it takes time and they usually don’t get all of them. Aptasia are a nuisance but also not the end of the world, if your water has a lot of particulates they will multiply like mad though. :)

OP
OP
MrPhil266

MrPhil266

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Thanks for your fast reply!
I will try to kill them all ! Nudibranchs are cool but i dont know where i can get some..

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No nick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remove them by hand don't use those chemicals like aphasia x they just multiply

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back