What is THE BEST 48-inch Reef Light ???

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm moving soon, so I've taken both of my 120 gallon tanks down, however, in preparation for the re-build, I want to get one 48-inch light to go over each tank for more complete coverage. With my current lighting, I'm not getting full coverage (Got some dark spots). So what are your recommendations for THE BEST 48-inch light I can get ???
My current lighting set-up is as follows:
Tank #1: One 32" S-Box Pro Timer by SB Reef Lights set at 14" above tank
Tank #2: Two 16" S-Box Pro Timers by SB Reef Lights set at 14" above tank
(To my disappointment, SB Reef Lights does not make a "48 light)

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean best for the corals, or best for the reefer? For the corals, it is some sort of fixture with MH and maybe a few T5s... Gisemann, Hamilton, Older AquaMedic, DIY. For the reefer, this depends totally on the reefer...

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware with that with the 45” SB fixture, while you may get full coverage lengthwise, in the 24” fore to aft dimension of your tank, you may run into coverage issues. Having seen those lights on person at MACNA - NOLA this past summer, the LEDs are arranged in a thin strip, just 3 LEDs wide in the center of the fixture as opposed to being dispersed across the entire panel like your current 32” SB fixture.

If you’re going for that style of LED fixture, then I’d look into the ReefBreeders Photon V2 series where the LEDs are at least dispersed thought the entire 8” wide panel... not arranged in a thin strip in the center like the new SB fixture.

Here are the specs for the Photon 48 V2...

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/

OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware with that with the 45” SB fixture, while you may get full coverage lengthwise, in the 24” fore to aft dimension of your tank, you may run into coverage issues. Having seen those lights on person at MACNA - NOLA this past summer, the LEDs are arranged in a thin strip, just 3 LEDs wide in the center of the fixture as opposed to being dispersed across the entire panel like your current 32” SB fixture.

If you’re going for that style of LED fixture, then I’d look into the ReefBreeders Photon V2 series where the LEDs are at least dispersed thought the entire 8” wide panel... not arranged in a thin strip in the center like the new SB fixture.

Here are the specs for the Photon 48 V2...

https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-48-v2/

You know, I looked at, and considered the Photon V2 Series a while back, but with so much being said about how good and reliable the SB Reef Lights were, I wasn't sure that the Photon V2 would stack up as far as spectrum and quality.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said earlier, I think the most effective light for proper coverage of your 4x2x2 tank is the 8x54 ATI Sunpower, but if you’re going for the higher end black box style LED fixture, then I think the Photon V2 will give you a bit better fore to aft coverage than the new style SB fixture because of the LED diode layout.

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owning an ati sunpower 8x54 watt I can concur that your coral growing possibilities would be entirely limitless with zero deficiencies of any kind, color, par, or reliability. I only recommended the Powermodule hybrid instead because the OP asked for the best. And the Powermodule has everything the sunpower does and then some, granted at 3-4x the cost. But it is the best

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" T5 all the way.

If money is no object, the powermodule hybrid is is amazing.
If you want control, but have a budget, get a dimmable Sunpower.
If you want to save money, get a 6 or 8 bulb std Sunpower.

You can always add a SB Actinic bar to the T5's if you want some LED action.

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" T5 all the way.

If money is no object, the powermodule hybrid is is amazing.
If you want control, but have a budget, get a dimmable Sunpower.
If you want to save money, get a 6 or 8 bulb std Sunpower.

You can always add a SB Actinic bar to the T5's if you want some LED action.
What this guy said! Or a sun blaze fixture

Last edited:
OP
OP
Finatik

Finatik

FINatik about my Tanks !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said earlier, I think the most effective light for proper coverage of your 4x2x2 tank is the 8x54 ATI Sunpower, but if you’re going for the higher end black box style LED fixture, then I think the Photon V2 will give you a bit better fore to aft coverage than the new style SB fixture because of the LED diode layout.

Thanks for the info Water Dog.

Back