What is the ice cube method of removing BTA’s?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard the ice cube method referenced for removing BTAs but no explanation of how? I have an infestation of BTA’s in my 180 reef. 50 ish BTAs and I want 2/3. I’ve done the cannon method previously but need something faster.

IMG_5624.jpeg IMG_5663.jpeg

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've been told, you basically take an ice cube and rub it on the foot of the nem to encourage it to let go. I've never done it but some swear by it. Hope this helps

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've been told, you basically take an ice cube and rub it on the foot of the nem to encourage it to let go. I've never done it but some swear by it. Hope this helps
This is correct and I have used it before. Try to use an icecube that has a square edge. Works best if you can remove the rock the nem is on so the cold does not dissipate in the water. Start at the edge of the foot and start to rub. The foot will start to lift up, then you can really get the ice under the foot and it goes faster after that. Good luck. I too am over run by rose BTA's!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard the ice cube method referenced for removing BTAs but no explanation of how? I have an infestation of BTA’s in my 180 reef. 50 ish BTAs and I want 2/3. I’ve done the cannon method previously but need something faster.

IMG_5624.jpeg IMG_5663.jpeg

How old is this tank? I only ask out if curiosity because I had the same issue with bubble tips in my 180 years ago. I went from 3 to almost 50 at one point. When the tank matured a few more years the nems stop splitting.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cube method is a pain and hit or miss.

OP
OP
Neptune 555

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank? I only ask out if curiosity because I had the same issue with bubble tips in my 180 years ago. I went from 3 to almost 50 at one point. When the tank matured a few more years the nems stop splitting.
This tank was set up 5 years ago but it was made from 2 other tanks that were 20 / 10 years old... but all new water and sand. Same rock/fish/. bigger tank new lights. BUT in the tank that donated the BTA... it had lived in that tank 7 years never split? I have no idea why sometimes they have bubbles, don't have bubbles and split? It is a mystery... but one that will kill me b/c I am VERY reactive to BTA's.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured out the bubble thing, at least in my tank. Lower flow equals larger bubbles. More flow and they get long stringy tentacles. That's the only nem mystery I think I've solved. I don't think I'm even putting any in my new build. I just need to figure out what to do with a stock tank full of them :thinking-face:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method only works if you can actually get to the foot. Most times the foot is wedged into the rockwork so they're impossible to remove unless you break the rock (with a hammer and chisel).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back