What Is The Longest Someone Has Kept A Rimless Tank Without Issue?

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That Red Sea has had its fair share of leaked tanks is no secret. You've got posts from angry/heartbroken customers on all media outlets. This morning I read a for sale thread from someone who sprung a leak in their rimless CAD aquarium. I've seen plenty of comments in the Red Sea posts where people will say things along the lines of, "You should have went with Waterbox" or "That's why I will only ever buy a CAD rimless." The issues isn't the manufacturer; It's rimless tanks in general. That being said, what is the longest that any one of you has ever kept a rimless tank without fail? Not going to lie, I hear any sound of rushing water and I immediately run over to check on my Red Sea reefer, thinking it sprung a leak. Mine has been full over water for a year and 2 weeks now. How long has/was yours? I'm wondering if anyone has neared the 10 year mark with one of these tanks.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on size, all these XXxXcX versions I would give 2-5 years max, silicone naturally breaks down, and when that is the only thing holding the glass together it takes much more stress

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depends on size, all these XXxXcX versions I would give 2-5 years max, silicone naturally breaks down, and when that is the only thing holding the glass together it takes much more stress
Right, but if not mistaken, you've not actually owned one right? More interested in what other's have experienced personally. Your input is definitely valid though. That you're not a fan of rimless tanks is no secret. Makes me wish I would have gone a different route.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there a specific tank size and or serial number range that is the most concerning? Currently looking at my 525XL as if it were a bomb about to go off

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, but if not mistaken, you've not actually owned one right? More interested in what other's have experienced personally. Your input is definitely valid though. That you're not a fan of rimless tanks is no secret. Makes me wish I would have gone a different route.

No I haven’t. But that is due to choice , I think it’s quite obvious that rimless are weaker than trimmed so I don’t get the argument. I put the time frame because that is what I have seen people post on here.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had AGE build our custom 150 gallon frag tank and thought about doing rimless, but at the end of the day had it reinforced with steel around the top. Offered a small rim, but made it super strong.

Happy at the end of the day.

Rimless looks cool, but we're talking about a lot of saltwater here!

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No I haven’t. But that is due to choice , I think it’s quite obvious that rimless are weaker than trimmed so I don’t get the argument. I put the time frame because that is what I have seen people post on here.
I'm tracking. I agree with you as well. I'm just more interested to see how long users have gone on the long end of the spectrum. I've seen Red Sea tanks go out within 2 years.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 2023 will be 10 years for my RSR 525. I am thinking about upgrading due to age and scratches and that my wife wants to sand/stain the floors. Three strikes.

I think I will take that opportunity to:
a) Go bigger
b) Add some floor bracing
c) Tile the floor in that space

Everybody wins.

My opinion: the RSR750 without the center brace was a bad design. Much/most of the others were one-off odd silicone QC issues AND stands that were not leveled or floors that warped. RedSea sells more tanks than most others combined.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issues isn't the manufacturer; It's rimless tanks in general.
It's definitely the manufacture, often to meet customer demands like low price (thin glass, lack of internal bracing, crappy two-part silicone, poor stand design, etc.) and attractive seams (no filet, no internal bracing). Any builder worth your time can make a rock solid rimless tank that will last many years.

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LeeMar 150 Rimless (60x24x24) that I set up at the LFS I used to work at has been going since 2015. As long as the tank and stand are well made rimless can last a long time. The thing is rimless tanks weren't really popular 15-20 years ago so I doubt you will find many rimless tanks more than 10 years old.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That Red Sea has had its fair share of leaked tanks is no secret. You've got posts from angry/heartbroken customers on all media outlets. This morning I read a for sale thread from someone who sprung a leak in their rimless CAD aquarium. I've seen plenty of comments in the Red Sea posts where people will say things along the lines of, "You should have went with Waterbox" or "That's why I will only ever buy a CAD rimless." The issues isn't the manufacturer; It's rimless tanks in general. That being said, what is the longest that any one of you has ever kept a rimless tank without fail? Not going to lie, I hear any sound of rushing water and I immediately run over to check on my Red Sea reefer, thinking it sprung a leak. Mine has been full over water for a year and 2 weeks now. How long has/was yours? I'm wondering if anyone has neared the 10 year mark with one of these tanks.

Just to clarify, was this a CAD Lights aquarium or CADE?

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's definitely the manufacture, often to meet customer demands like low price (thin glass, lack of internal bracing, crappy two-part silicone, poor stand design, etc.) and attractive seams (no filet, no internal bracing). Any builder worth your time can make a rock solid rimless tank that will last many years.
@piranhaman00 you see this? Them are fighting words . . . . lol.

FSP the premise of the question is to get to this point exactly. If any worthy builder can in fact build a solid rimless tank, then this thread should get full of individuals sharing the 5-10+ year stories of keeping their rimless tanks.

I'm starting to lean towards team Piranhaman thinking that rimless is too risky to invest into.

gunflintcamper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@piranhaman00 you see this? Them are fighting words . . . . lol.

FSP the premise of the question is to get to this point exactly. If any worthy builder can in fact build a solid rimless tank, then this thread should get full of individuals sharing the 5-10+ year stories of keeping their rimless tanks.

I'm starting to lean towards team Piranhaman thinking that rimless is too risky to invest into.
As already mentioned, rimless tanks just haven’t been a ‘thing’ over 10 years. Waterbox company only began in 2016 and wasn’t even available everywhere until 5 years ago.
There have been plenty of complaints about failing tanks with rims also. I honestly would guess that the vast majority of failed seams are related to improper leveling.

i’ve had 4 Waterbox tanks for about 2 years without issues. But no other experience so it’s just my unfounded opinion. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%

Back