What Is The Longest Someone Has Kept A Rimless Tank Without Issue?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and sold to a friend a miracles 120 rimless, no eurobrace, I got over 10 years ago. It’s tall for a rimless at 24” but they also insisted it be made of 3/4” glass.

I fully expect that monster of a tank to be running for another decade or two. Heck honestly it might outlive me.

I had them make me another custom tank, 6’ long and a bit shorter with a eurobrace. I sold it but it’s still going strong around 10 years too.

I have now an IM 150 eurobrace, as I prefer the eurobrace design in general and it’s shorter still. I fully expect to get 20 plus years out of it especially being on aluminum stand.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in the corner of rimless for a minute , five pieces of glass if fairly easy to rebuild if necessary , 2 to 3 hundred gallon requires 2 to 3 humans , small box is even easier , here's where you go with the monster weight 3/4" lol

Last edited:

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got quite a few all in one nanos as well as random 10 - 20 gallon tanks and a 90... I probably have Multiple Tank Syndrome. Although I really love all in one tanks, I'd like to consolidate and have a nice larger (maybe 180-200 gallon size range) eurobraced display tank. I've been out of the loop of keeping up with the longevity of rimless tanks for the last several years. I remember reading horror stories of seams busting and bad customer service (and of course this could happen with any tank at any time). Is that still the case today with companies? I plan to put this tank on a wood floor and will have to cut open a wall to get it into the room. I plan to have it many, many years and I do not need the drama of seams splitting or glass breaking due to poor stand quality. Is the consensus then if the tank has a euro brace, you're chances of tank failure greatly diminished?

lauraofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend euro braced. Gives way more strength. You may be able to skip a center beam (depending on tank length) which helps with maintenance and remove shadowing in the center, and also helps keep water in the tank when fish splash or you use the algae magnet near the surface. Definitely regret doing my build rimless for those reasons. I wanted the modern look but with the lights I have, they are bright and distract from the view of the tank so I'll be building a modern canopy over it, so I'd prefer a stronger tank behind there. Also speaking from experience, fish are more likely to jump out of a rimless tank even if you have a screen top and maybe remove it for a maintenance for a few minutes... they shoot right up the smooth glass and out onto the hard floor where you might step on them by accident...

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple answer to all rimless tanks , is find me one with a warranty longer than 2 years , three years and you can get 5 but beyond that haven't seen a rimless tank with a warranty longer than 5 , and that is the owner buying extra years. My guess is because they know the tanks have a higher probability of failure after that , so they have done the research. There is a reason acrylic tanks mostly have lifetime warranty, even rimmed glass tanks sometimes have lifetime warranty. Most glass tanks just don't and it is because the failure rate goes up each year. Waterbox is new company, so the true test will be the next coming years . I still wonder why all rimless tanks don't have armored seems, it should be standard on all the tanks .

Companies like Tenecor , Midwest Custom Aquariums, and a few other acrylic offer lifetime warranty. Glass Cages you can buy lifetime warranty I believe by paying double price for tank. Custom Aquariums offers lifetime on their large tanks

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't wish an aquarium warranty, "lifetime" or otherwise, on anyone. I agree seam width is often overlooked in favor of cleaner seams, but many rimless tanks don't even respect the necessary glass thickness to avoid panel deflection in the first place :rolleyes:

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't wish an aquarium warranty, "lifetime" or otherwise, on anyone. I agree seam width is often overlooked in favor of cleaner seams, but many rimless tanks don't even respect the necessary glass thickness to avoid panel deflection in the first place :rolleyes:
Yes , but the money they charge they should build them better and properly, no need to cut corners

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in my 8th year with my Marineland 93 gallon cube. I moved it 4 years ago from Virginia to Florida so I have been lucky. After reading all the horror stories recently I am contemplating adding a Eurobrace.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on size, all these XXxXcX versions I would give 2-5 years max, silicone naturally breaks down, and when that is the only thing holding the glass together it takes much more stress
What is the XXxXcX you are referring too?

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rimless tanks can last. I have a 50 gallon Landen thats been running for more than 5years. No signs of stress.
The Red Sea failures have little to do with it being a rimless tank, or silicone seams.
The stand sags in the middle, that puts pressure on the side panels pushing up. The front panel is usually where it blows out because its being pulled down in the middle by the stand, and pushing up on the sides. No silicone or brace will save a tank thats built on a unstable/unbalanced foundation.

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and sold to a friend a miracles 120 rimless, no eurobrace, I got over 10 years ago. It’s tall for a rimless at 24” but they also insisted it be made of 3/4” glass.

I fully expect that monster of a tank to be running for another decade or two. Heck honestly it might outlive me.

I had them make me another custom tank, 6’ long and a bit shorter with a eurobrace. I sold it but it’s still going strong around 10 years too.

I have now an IM 150 eurobrace, as I prefer the eurobrace design in general and it’s shorter still. I fully expect to get 20 plus years out of it especially being on aluminum stand.
How is the IM tank doing, I am thinking of the same tank

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had a 34 Solana running for 12 years. Bought it used from someone who had it set up for a few years.. so maybe 15 on a 34 gallon rimless. I still run it as a frag system today, gutted the internal overflow. Only a few scratches after all those years. Perhaps the key to longevity with rimless is to keep them under 50 gallons?

Undersea Gardens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 160 gallon elos. Over 15 years and silicone still looks really good. It does have a ton of etching at the water line though.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back